• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Phil Hughes RIP

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quite sad but on the news this morning they stated that it took a long time for the ambulance to get to the cricket ground which I find surprising as every sporting event, concert, festival, etc. there is always an ambulance in attendance so don't they do this in Australia?
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
      If that is true then it's on the players head if they get injured or worse.
      But when you need split-second reflexes, anything which encumbers you increases your chances of getting hit dramatically. So then is it better statistically to get hit a lot on the helmet, or just once on the neck?

Are professional cricketers actually calling for changes to be made, or are they happy it was such a fluke nothing needs to be done except mourn the loss?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Well only top class cricketers in the modern game (last 10 years) can bowl at these speeds, so although it's a miracle it hasn't happened before, it's down to the number of event's being relatively low. Statistically, it will happen again many times if the helmet isn't modified and as fast bowlers get faster.
        No really true. Fast bowling as it is today really started in 1933 with the body line tour. Helmets came into the game in the early 70's.

There is no easy way to find numbers for domestic matches played but there have been ~1900 test matches played since 1933. An average match involves around 3000 balls being bowled. (100 overs per day , 6 balls per over for 5 days). Thats 5.7M balls bowled just in test matches and none of them caused this injury. Add in the numbers bowled in domestic matches and that number is going to go up by orders of magnitude.

Hugh was the third cricketer to die as a direct result of a blow to the head since 1870 and there have been only 12 recorded deaths of players and officials during a match in that time. More people have died of heart attacks during a game than from being hit on the head.

This really was a freak accident.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
          Quite sad but on the news this morning they stated that it took a long time for the ambulance to get to the cricket ground which I find surprising as every sporting event, concert, festival, etc. there is always an ambulance in attendance so don't they do this in Australia?
          The ambulance in the UK is normally St Johns Ambulance though if the event is larger you can get some doctors. However all they do is provide first aid and will call an ambulance if there is an emergency. If your event is not near to a hospital/ambulance station so at least paramedics can get to you then it's tough.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            The ambulance in the UK is normally St Johns Ambulance though if the event is larger you can get some doctors. However all they do is provide first aid and will call an ambulance if there is an emergency. If your event is not near to a hospital/ambulance station so at least paramedics can get to you then it's tough.
            In this case, unless there was a operating theatre and serval skilled neuro/vascular surgeons in the ambulance, the time it took to arrive didn't matter.

Comment

In this case, unless there was a operating theatre and serval skilled neuro/vascular surgeons in the ambulance, the time it took to arrive didn't matter.
              True, but the SCG (where the match was being played) and St Vincent's Hospital are pretty close so shouldn't have taken too long. I also saw a photo of a helicopter which landed on the pitch but I'm not sure if it was used or not.

Comment

I saw the news this morning, great shame when someone dies to this sort of freak accident.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
                  True, but the SCG (where the match was being played) and St Vincent's Hospital are pretty close so shouldn't have taken too long. I also saw a photo of a helicopter which landed on the pitch but I'm not sure if it was used or not.
                  By the time the helicopter was there, the ambulance was there, the doctor had already provided treatment and travelled in the ambulance with him. The helicopter would have been slower than using the ambulance.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

If that is true then it's on the players head if they get injured or worse.
                    I don't know how accurate Bunk's statement was - in any case (as has been stated previously) this very much was a freak accident, and it's unlikely that any modern-day helmet worn by batsmen at a competitive level would've prevented this injury.

People calling for the bowler to be banned from the game are uninformed IMO - it is a perfectly legitimate tactic to bowl short and induce the batsmen to play a false shot and/or lead them to play a false shot further down the line.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                      By the time the helicopter was there, the ambulance was there, the doctor had already provided treatment and travelled in the ambulance with him. The helicopter would have been slower than using the ambulance.
                      Yeah, not surprising. Like I said, the ground and the hospital are pretty close. I reckon an ambulance could have come from the hospital, picked him up and been back at the hospital within 10 minutes.

Comment

Working...
                      X