• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Phil Hughes RIP

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GlenW View Post
    Or they could use a softer ball maybe. Maybe, only allow under-arm bowling or even ban cricket all together and insist all the players take up knitting as long as they use blunt needles. Tit.
    I don't feel that this is a thread for arguing.

Very very upsetting. Only consolation is that he died doing something he loved. He should have had a much longer innings.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      I don't feel that this is a thread for arguing.
      This is General.
      Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
      +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
        Well only top class cricketers in the modern game (last 10 years) can bowl at these speeds, so although it's a miracle it hasn't happened before, it's down to the number of event's being relatively low. Statistically, it will happen again many times if the helmet isn't modified and as fast bowlers get faster.
        Sean Abbott is RFM not RF.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Yeah throwing a hard ball very fast bouncing just in front of someone is never going to result in it hitting their head. Could happen again if it happened once. If the result of this tragedy isn't a redesign of the helmet then it will be a disgrace.
          There are already helmets that would have prevented this injury. However, the players choose not to wear those helmets because they restrict their movement too much.

Comment

Well only top class cricketers in the modern game (last 10 years) can bowl at these speeds, so although it's a miracle it hasn't happened before, it's down to the number of event's being relatively low. Statistically, it will happen again many times if the helmet isn't modified and as fast bowlers get faster.
            I feel that's a poor argument. Even 10 years is rather a long time when you consider how much top-level cricket gets played. And I don't know there's evidence bowling speeds are still increasing in a substantial fashion.

Where exactly was the poor guy hit, the side of the neck?
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
              There are already helmets that would have prevented this injury. However, the players choose not to wear those helmets because they restrict their movement too much.
              If that is true then it's on the players head if they get injured or worse.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                I feel that's a poor argument. Even 10 years is rather a long time when you consider how much top-level cricket gets played. And I don't know there's evidence bowling speeds are still increasing in a substantial fashion.

Where exactly was the poor guy hit, the side of the neck?
                Think the top of the neck on an artery. I agree it is unlikely to happen every game or even every year. I have never crashed but I always wear my seatbelt, think about it.

Comment

Think the top of the neck on an artery. I agree it is unlikely to happen every game or even every year. I have never crashed but I always wear my seatbelt, think about it.
                  Many thousands of people die in car accidents. Why don't we ban cars?
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                    Many thousands of people die in car accidents. Why don't we ban cars?
                    I don't think anyone is suggesting we ban cricket.

Comment

If that is true then it's on the players head if they get injured or worse.
                      Boom boom.

It's balancing risk vs benefit - you wear a seatbelt, but if wearing full body armour was more likely to protect you in an car accident, would you choose to do it?

Comment

Working...
                      X