• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

FLCs - LFIG Proposal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    I think the problem with MoO is that on one side we like it but many zero hour contracts work on the MoO principle. And while I personally hate the idea of a zero hour contract I can see why for some people (students say) they work well.
    Interesting a quick google reveals that if the employer provides an employee regular hours then there is MOO especially if the contract forbids the employee from working for someone else. However our contracts are clear on the terms and the working relationship but zero hours contracts aren't.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Interesting a quick google reveals that if the employer provides an employee regular hours then there is MOO especially if the contract forbids the employee from working for someone else. However our contracts are clear on the terms and the working relationship but zero hours contracts aren't.
      One of the things the current Government are attacking zero hour contracts on is the bit about regarding them forbidding an employee from working for someone else.

from Sports Direct forced to advertise zero-hours contract terms | Business | The Guardian
      The business secretary, Vince Cable, has warned “unscrupulous employers” that he plans to ban clauses in zero-hours contracts that prevent workers from accepting shifts with more than one employer.
      Last edited by eek; 5 December 2014, 23:29.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Deleted
        Last edited by tractor; 9 December 2014, 08:51. Reason: I have no wish to help Ross by detailing the faults with his proposal. He can make the mistakes on his own.

Comment

I have to say, that despite all the arguments one way and another I've seen nothing so far that makes me think that I would want to switch to an FLC or any other "Freelancer Company" structure..

IR35 is a nuisance, but thats all. We know how to manage it, negotiate contracts, take out insurance etc and get on with the job. Sometimes I have multiple clients, sometimes I have just one, thats the nature of being in business.

Using anything else would mean shutting down my existing Ltd with all the associated costs; changing shareholdings as MrsB is currently a minority shareholder; and overall would leave me worse off. Without exact figures it's only a guess but I'd probably be better off just going permie or working via an umbrella and be done with it.

This is not a good thing.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

This is what I'm hearing...

Comment

What FLC reminds me of....

Is it really 2003 that I remember this from?

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
                What FLC reminds me of....

Is it really 2003 that I remember this from?
                I'd agree, but it's far too innocent for how the likely FLC scenario will play out.

Comment

BUMP - for IPSE members, there is an update in the Policy and Consultations forum here.

For non-IPSE members, it's still there, but you need to join (and vote!) before you can see it.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    BUMP - for IPSE members, there is an update in the Policy and Consultations forum here.

For non-IPSE members, it's still there, but you need to join (and vote!) before you can see it.
                    Worth comparing the kind of people who IPSE are working with the ones who formulated the original proposal as well...
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                      Worth comparing the kind of people who IPSE are working with the ones who formulated the original proposal as well...
                      Yeah, but who would a Labour gov't listen to?

Useful letter anyway. I don't think it says much that we didn't know, i.e. it's a tough backdrop, but it's important to hear these concerns from people that know what they're talking about. The downside risks of IPSE lending credibility to the FLC structure remain, as do the upside benefits of influencing the design. One can argue the balance either way. My concern is more with the working assumption that it will be (can be) optional, because I think it clearly won't be optional.

Comment

Working...
                      X