• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Testers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having testers just means the developers start cutting corners - why bother to verify that something works when that's the tester's job? Which means more bugs are reported and the management take that to mean the quality of the product has improved - all thanks to their decision to hire testers. All they've actually done is increase the size and inefficiency of the team.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      Having testers just means the developers start cutting corners - why bother to verify that something works when that's the tester's job? Which means more bugs are reported and the management take that to mean the quality of the product has improved - all thanks to their decision to hire testers. All they've actually done is increase the size and inefficiency of the team.
      if that happens its time to fire the development team lead.

Its astounding how many teams don't seem able to do a good job yet some always perform superbly.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Testers are like drummers in a rock band - not skilled, love to make a noise

Comment

Originally posted by zoco View Post
          Where exactly do they fit in the pecking order?

Got one here and she's a right little bossy boots. Always referring to us as "my developers".

Gets right on my tits.

The way I see it is that it is us developers that write the jokes....

(..mind you, some of the places I've worked, that statement could be taken literally)
          Testers decide if they are funny or not.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            if that happens its time to fire the development team lead.
            And you now have a lot of testers and a shortage of developers. And how would you know that it was happening?

Its astounding how many teams don't seem able to do a good job yet some always perform superbly.
            The good teams are led by people who understand the psychology of those that work for them. The bad teams are where idiot managers have decided everything can be solved by throwing more "resources" at the problem.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

And you now have a lot of testers and a shortage of developers. And how would you know that it was happening?

The good teams are led by people who understand the psychology of those that work for them. The bad teams are where idiot managers have decided everything can be solved by throwing more "resources" at the problem.
              The point I was making was that if the developers decided to leave all testing to the testers it is a people management problem. Good managers make good teams.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
                Testers are like drummers in a rock band - not skilled, love to make a noise
                And incredibly important.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  And incredibly important.
                  What does a tester use for contraception?
                  His personality.

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
                    What does a tester use for contraception?
                    His personality.
                    Doesn't really work in a forum full of programmers and accountants.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I've never been on a team that has more testers than devs and it's quite easy to see when they're cutting corners as things just don't work, I have a few here that I know when it comes to testing their work that it's not going to work as expected.
                      In Scooter we trust

Comment

Working...
                      X