• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Calais migrant crisis: UK police 'should help'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is their port.

They can sort the problem out and stop blaming the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      Legal immigrants (only about a third of them are from the EU) are not the ones trying to hide in the back of lorries or living in cardboard boxes in Sangatte.
      But aren't they the ones claiming benefits?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Non EU will claim benefits when their asylum case is being judged, which takes years. When they lose they go on the run.
        Last edited by minestrone; 5 November 2014, 10:28.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
          I read the article and it's not comprehensive as there are certain costs that aren't taken into account
          In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            But aren't they the ones claiming benefits?
            I don't know why people keep blaming immigrants (EU or not) for leeching benefits, where only a small portion are doing it, the majority are coming to UK to work. Compared to huge amount of British who have never worked in their lives and are embracing the benefits culture as a way of living. It's often these people that are using the immigrants as an excuse for their life choice by shouting "they took our jobs", while having no qualification or skills whatsoever, nor any desire of working if they can keep claiming way bigger than the minimum wage.

I can see that a lot of the comments (from officials not only in this forum) follow the typical British isolationist mentality "it's not on our island(s)", so it's not our problem. In this case the immigrants flocking at Calais are there with the sole intention of crossing the channel to UK, at which point they will become UK problem, how would you react if the French just open the flood gates and let them cross? Instead they are reaching out for help, i'm not saying that sending manpower is the right decision and there is already a financial pledge, but stating "it's not our problem" is like sticking your head in the sand, hoping the problem will just go away.

Comment

If the French want the problem sorted they can sort it themselves. It is their problem to fix.

I would take anyone that is caught on this side and send them to Timor like the Australians do.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                I don't know why people keep blaming immigrants (EU or not) for leeching benefits, where only a small portion are doing it, the majority are coming to UK to work. Compared to huge amount of British who have never worked in their lives and are embracing the benefits culture as a way of living. It's often these people that are using the immigrants as an excuse for their life choice by shouting "they took our jobs", while having no qualification or skills whatsoever, nor any desire of working if they can keep claiming way bigger than the minimum wage.

I can see that a lot of the comments (from officials not only in this forum) follow the typical British isolationist mentality "it's not on our island(s)", so it's not our problem. In this case the immigrants flocking at Calais are there with the sole intention of crossing the channel to UK, at which point they will become UK problem, how would you react if the French just open the flood gates and let them cross? Instead they are reaching out for help, i'm not saying that sending manpower is the right decision and there is already a financial pledge, but stating "it's not our problem" is like sticking your head in the sand, hoping the problem will just go away.
                What about those aged under 25 that are struggling to get jobs because of the influx of migrants?

If the French decided to open the floodgates I'm sure we could just mobilise the armed forces to deal with it.
                In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
                  What about those aged under 25 that are struggling to get jobs because of the influx of migrants?

If the French decided to open the floodgates I'm sure we could just mobilise the armed forces to deal with it.
                  The problem with the youth these days is the same all over the world - their expectations don't meet the reality. Many of them want to start at £100k white collar jobs, naturally they can't find such jobs, so they result to moaning and blaming the immigrants. The other problem is the education system that doesn't produce the necessary skill sets. NHS has vacancies for 1000s of doctors and nurses, while the universities are spewing 1000s of graduates with degrees and skill sets that no employer is looking for - blame the immigrants I say.

But yet again, the blame culture has deep roots.

Comment

I don't know why people keep blaming immigrants (EU or not) for leeching benefits, where only a small portion are doing it, the majority are coming to UK to work.

Compared to huge amount of British who have never worked in their lives and are embracing the benefits culture as a way of living.
                    So just make two massive generalisations without any supporting evidence?
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

The problem with the youth these days is the same all over the world - their expectations don't meet the reality. Many of them want to start at £100k white collar jobs, naturally they can't find such jobs, so they result to moaning and blaming the immigrants. The other problem is the education system that doesn't produce the necessary skill sets. NHS has vacancies for 1000s of doctors and nurses, while the universities are spewing 1000s of graduates with degrees and skill sets that no employer is looking for - blame the immigrants I say.

But yet again, the blame culture has deep roots.
                      I think you need to get out more, I've not met anyone that thinks they can just waltz into a £100k a year job.

Contrary to what you think not everyone wants to be a doctor or nurse either.
                      In Scooter we trust

Comment

Working...
                      X