• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should fat people take responsibility for their weight?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Annoyingly, before I started doing exercise and being healthy, I was putting on something like 1 pound a month (based on knowing what I weighed 2 years previously) despite eating loads of junk, drinking, and barely leaving the house.

Now I have lost a stone and a bit and eat probably half the calories I did before, and exercise most days, I find that reverting to my old lifestyle for a week can put on 5lb! How is that possible - I thought the "body going into starvation mode" theory was bunk!
    For every gram of carbohydrate your body is storing it also has to carry 3 grams of water. So if you have had a carb light diet then tuck into 16 inch pizza you can easily put on half a stone for a couple of days.

It is also the reason people think the atkins diet is so great, they don't eat carbs for a week then look at the scales and think they have lost half a stone.

I lost over a stone in 6 days doing the MdS but about half of that was water loss as I had lost all my body carbs. When I seen my body in the mirror when I got back to the hotel it was a real WTF! moment.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      For every gram of carbohydrate your body is storing it also has to carry 3 grams of water. So if you have had a carb light diet then tuck into 16 inch pizza you can easily put on half a stone for a couple of days.
      So you're saying that's a more transient kind of weight gain - when I was always eating badly I permanently had that 1/2 stone because my diet was crap, but consistent?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        If you can run 5km in 23 minutes I salute you. That's professional running and then some. Curious what age are you?
        It really isn't. Not even close. I can do that at the end of a sprint triathlon, and I'm not even in the top 10% of the (amateur) field.

BMI is a rubbish indicator of fitness. I did an Ironman in July, and my BMI still had me as overweight. What about rugby players they are usually classed as obese to morbidly obese on a BMI scale. It's a ridiculously crude measure, and doing something like visceral fat/bone makeup/muscle mass would be too complicated and expensive to measure and tax appropriately.
        And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          So you're saying that's a more transient kind of weight gain - when I was always eating badly I permanently had that 1/2 stone because my diet was crap, but consistent?

Yes, I think if people want to lose weight they should measure body fat. Although I know someone who has those scales at home and he swears he if he drinks a can of irn-bru it changes the numbers.

Comment

People doing my local park run are 16 minutes for 5k.

I'm a plodder now.

Comment

People doing my local park run are 16 minutes for 5k.

I'm a plodder now.
              If I could run at 18.75 kmph I'd probably give up cycling. I really don't think people in your local park are running at 12mph.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
                It really isn't. Not even close. I can do that at the end of a sprint triathlon, and I'm not even in the top 10% of the (amateur) field.
                Not me, don't use bmi myself but at 13 stone and almost 6 foot, I'm no slouch. But to run faster would mean giving up into less strength to reduce my weight further. Don't want to be a weedy wiry sort.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

This is last week, someone hit 17:15

latest results | Pollok parkrun

Comment

This is last week, someone hit 17:15

latest results | Pollok parkrun
                    Seriously impressive. Think my best 5km was 26/7 minutes!!

I need to get back to the gym... been a month.

Comment

Yes, I think if people want to lose weight they should measure body fat. Although I know someone who has those scales at home and he swears he if he drinks a can of irn-bru it changes the numbers.
                      Yeah my scales measure that (although I have no idea how accurately). Since I've not only built up my legs doing cycling but am now starting to introduce some strength/weights, my weight will be distorted however I think relatively little compared to the blubber I wish to lose.

Cheers.
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X