• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Euromillions £111m tonight.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
    It's why I don't get these syndicates, either. You're increasing your odds, but they still remain horribly low, but if you do win, the pelf is to be divvied up quite substantially. I guess there's the subjective feeling of you shafted yourself by not participating, but even so, any win would be a stroke of blind luck. I recall not too long ago that a certain charity looked at the odds, and then bought enough tickets because they thought you just multiplied the number of tickets by the numerator, and voila, victory is assured, so they bought something like 30k tickets.
    It depends on the size of the syndicate, obviously.

I'm happy to go for the CUK7, and I've done a work one where we had 5 or 6 of us.

At my first job, the syndicate had 50 people in it, which really defeated the object of the whole thing as far as I could see. Even in the early days of a decent payout, it still wasn't enough to entice me in.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I'd be tempted to calculate the probability of certain numbers coming up given:

1) the machine used

2) the ball set used

3) the number of draws that the number did not come up

With this you could test for a fit but you'd need to place a bet on each combination of ball set and machine.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Make sure you buy the ticket at the last minute - you don't want to run the chance of dropping dead between buying the ticket and draw itself.

And if you think it's silly to talk about the odds of popping your clogs in a matter of hours - and winning the jackpot .... which event do you think is more likely to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          I'm not convinced that "invested" is the right word
          I'll buy you a pint if we win.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            I'll buy you a pint if we win.
            Even at London prices?

Comment

Haven't done lottery for yonks but perhaps I will tonight as I am bound to win.

Had a spooky moment at the village club raffle last week. I jokingly waved my fingers at my tickets and commanded them to win and my number was the next out. If my magic spell works for a box of chocolates maybe it will work for a few million.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                Even at London prices?
                I might be tempted to push the boat out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                  Even at London prices?
                  On a (mildly) serious note - outside of London / South East - you simply couldn't spend £111m unless you actively went out of your way to burn it - you'd find it very hard to spend more than £5m on a house.

But in some parts of London, you could easily spend a big chunk of £111m on digs alone.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    Haven't done lottery for yonks but perhaps I will tonight as I am bound to win.

Had a spooky moment at the village club raffle last week. I jokingly waved my fingers at my tickets and commanded them to win and my number was the next out. If my magic spell works for a box of chocolates maybe it will work for a few million.
                    That was your piece of luck. It will never happen again
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Looks like another rollover, was actually £114M, I "won" £4.80 last night.
                      Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Working...
                      X