• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Euromillions £111m tonight.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    So the CUK Cartel didn't win last week, are you in again tonight?
    Yes. But this time we'll win. Or this time next year we'll be millionaires. Or something else. I'm not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
      So the CUK Cartel didn't win last week, are you in again tonight?

Friday's winnings are being re-invested, and a large subset of us have chucked in another nifty for good measure

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        a large subset
        A small majority, or a large minority?

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
          Friday's winnings are being re-invested, and a large subset of us have chucked in another nifty for good measure
          I'm not convinced that "invested" is the right word
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
            I read a while back that a surprisingly large number of people are struck by lightening every year. Odds were between 25000/1 and 60000/1. A direct hit by a meteorite must be much rarer though!
            Talking of which, The Universe versus Alex Woods was an enjoyable and entertaining read.

The Universe Versus Alex Woods by Gavin Extence

Comment

Originally posted by alluvial View Post
              At odds of 1 in 116,531,800 I probably won't bother.
              More chance of being killed by a meteorite, 1 in 700,000 apparently.
              But if you buy ten tickets, the odds are only 1 in 11,653,180. Do the maths

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                But if you buy ten tickets, the odds are only 1 in 11,653,180. Do the maths
                Well with those odds, I'd be daft not to.

Comment

Originally posted by alluvial View Post
                  Well with those odds, I'd be daft not to.
                  Yep, in one case it approaches zero, and in the other it approaches zero too. A sure win!

Comment

Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
                    Yep, in one case it approaches zero, and in the other it approaches zero too. A sure win!

Comment

It's why I don't get these syndicates, either. You're increasing your odds, but they still remain horribly low, but if you do win, the pelf is to be divvied up quite substantially. I guess there's the subjective feeling of you shafted yourself by not participating, but even so, any win would be a stroke of blind luck. I recall not too long ago that a certain charity looked at the odds, and then bought enough tickets because they thought you just multiplied the number of tickets by the numerator, and voila, victory is assured, so they bought something like 30k tickets.

Comment

Working...
                      X