• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

August 2014 Warmest on record, globally

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Can I see the link where he expressed his belief in Hansen's wild claims? Or perhaps pj will be man enough to come and admit it and save you the trouble.
    he says he cant remember. I'll accept that,
    for what its worth, I do not believe that Manhatten will be under water by 2040, and I do not believe that sea levels will rise 5 m by the end of the century. even as an outlier chance

Sea levels are rising at about 1.7mm per year, and falling. so 86*1.7 mm is my prediction = 6 inches or so
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Hansen is used as an argument from authority here:

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post1954696

it's not talking about the 5 meters of water, but an authority can't really be an authority if you suppose that their opinions should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        he says he cant remember. I'll accept that,
        for what its worth, I do not believe that Manhatten will be under water by 2040, and I do not believe that sea levels will rise 5 m by the end of the century. even as an outlier chance

Sea levels are rising at about 1.7mm per year, and falling. so 86*1.7 mm is my prediction = 6 inches or so
        Where did he say he can't remember?

Comment

I suspect that when EO, says I agreed with Hansen's West Highway prediction he was thinking perchance of this thread ...

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post1859377

Which was about a Hansen prediction that, once we cleared up the trifling facts that EO's version 'gave the wrong size of the prediction, used the wrong units, the wrong geographical area and the wrong timescale.'

I did agree with .....
          My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Where did he say he can't remember?
            I am giving him the benefit of the doubt. The only way he can discuss Hansens wild claims, without binning them, then telling me that I am incorrect in recalling it, is if he can't remember.
            I would hate to call it any other way.

As I say, I accept his position. Hansen is an alarmist and a catastrophist, I am glad we can all agree on that
            (\__/)
            (>'.'<)

Comment

I am glad to see that PJ is softening his position ^. I guess that makes him a 'luke warmer' rather than a catastrophist.

I wonder if he still believes in Hansens prediction that the West side would be under water by 2028 ? That would a bit of a catastrophe, wouldn't it ? 10 feet of water in 14 years.
              wow.
              I got it now. Hansen claimed that a 5M rise by the end of the century was still a possibility

thats much more than 10 feet.

So let's get to the bottom of this. Where is Hansen's claim published and what exactly does it say and what exactly did pj say about the claim?

Comment

I am giving him the benefit of the doubt. The only way he can discuss Hansens wild claims, without binning them, then telling me that I am incorrect in recalling it, is if he can't remember.
                I would hate to call it any other way.

As I say, I accept his position. Hansen is an alarmist and a catastrophist, I am glad we can all agree on that
                So you are inferring that he can't remember? Which statement of PJ's do you make this inference from?

Comment

Out of interest pj, who do you think is closer
                  Hansens 5m by the end of the century
                  EO's 150mm (6 inches) by the end of the century
                  (\__/)
                  (>'.'<)

Comment

Out of interest pj, who do you think is closer
                    Hansens 5m by the end of the century
                    EO's 150mm (6 inches) by the end of the century
                    Let's be absolutely clear here. Did Hansen say there would be a 5m rise by the end of the century?

Comment

So let's get to the bottom of this. Where is Hansen's claim published and what exactly does it say and what exactly did pj say about the claim?
                      oh, we were discussing it, and pj called it an outlier, or some such

i.e. still a possibility, albeit with a small chance.

obvious alamism from Hansen. he got his scary headlines, which was what he was after
                      (\__/)
                      (>'.'<)

Comment

Working...
                      X