• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scotland is the first country to vote against its own independence

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    Good luck getting that through Westminster...
    It will happen on the back of an EU referendum. There is also a groundswell of opinion in the Conservative/UKIP parties for an English parliament now.

Things have changed and lots of people on both sides of the border are very unhappy with the status quo....

Comment

I don't really the buy the argument "all the NO voters are voting for change" or "the fact so many people voted NO means they are showing they're unhappy with the way things are now". Surely the NO turnout was so high because they knew they had to vote to stop YES winning?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        I don't really the buy the argument "all the NO voters are voting for change" or "the fact so many people voted NO means they are showing they're unhappy with the way things are now". Surely the NO turnout was so high because they knew they had to vote to stop YES winning?
        Yep. I think the majority of the NO voters were probably sick of the whole thing, saw Alex Salmond as a bit of an irritating trouble maker, and quite happy to carry on as things are/were. But they had to turn out en masse to stop the Yessers. The couple of (English resident) Scots I know said words to that effect. A revolution might sound sexy, but most people don't want the inconvenience.

Increased devloution would have happened even if there'd never been a referendum, so really talk of "devo max" is irrelevant.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

A lot of no was for me that I don't want politics to impact on my life, I just did not want to be forced through a process managed by people I don't think are that able to manage, the transition period would have been torture. There is a massive sense of relief that it is all over today.

Comment

Bye bye Yes.

I, and others, voted No because all the Yes campaign tulip was basically that - total la-la-land tulip. Not one answer to any of the hard questions on currency, the EU, fiscal responsibility, budget. It was an abject load of utter tulip that managed to sucker 45% of the Scottish population on a mix of dreams, nationalism and utter fvckwittery.

Further devolution for us, the English, Welsh and NIrish is a great idea and we'll get it because the Tories want it and the SNP want it. It's a more grown up answer than the infantile stupidity of nationalism.
            Last edited by jemb; 19 September 2014, 15:03. Reason: u and v

Comment

I am quite happy to see the Scottish parliament go.

I see no purpose to it and further devolving powers to England is just chasing the problem.

The argument that politics can be fixed with more politics is wrong.

Comment

You are clearly not cut out to be a country.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  I am quite happy to see the Scottish parliament go.

I see no purpose to it and further devolving powers to England is just chasing the problem.

The argument that politics can be fixed with more politics is wrong.
                  It's not politics - its representation. The Yes campaign may have been total tw@, but 89% turned out to argue the toss.

Devolution within a greater whole is a good thing- the strength of the UK with regional and local accountability. If we don't see devolution then we'll be here again within 10 years and next time it'll be an 80% Yes. Westminster knows this. That's why politics will deliver.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    You are clearly not cut out to be a country.
                    None of us are. That's why we cower together as the UK

Comment

Originally posted by jemb View Post
                      None of us are. That's why we cower together as the UK
                      WJS...
                      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                      X