• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leaving Protocol

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

grass seeds in the keyboard?
    Join IPSE

Comment

How about a leaving speech where you lavish praise on the manager you didn't get on with?

Steer clear of making it farcical but go as close as you dare. Be gushing. Make sure his skin crawls. But keep your expression stoic.

Don't stop until his complexion turns beetroot.

Comment

Originally posted by I just need to test it View Post
        How about a leaving speech where you lavish praise on the manager you didn't get on with?

Steer clear of making it farcical but go as close as you dare. Be gushing. Make sure his skin crawls. But keep your expression stoic.

Don't stop until his complexion turns beetroot.
        Great idea. Definitely use phrases like 'calm strategic leadership' and 'a steady hand at the wheel'.

Comment

Am faced with a similar issue when I leave, same problem with manager and they are organising a ''team dinner'' for when I leave, as there is someone else leaving the same day.

The last thing I want is to spend the evening with said manager in some crappy restaurant of their choice.

Bad form to not go?
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
            Am faced with a similar issue when I leave, same problem with manager and they are organising a ''team dinner'' for when I leave, as there is someone else leaving the same day.

The last thing I want is to spend the evening with said manager in some crappy restaurant of their choice.

Bad form to not go?
            Be gracious and go - you never know, said manager may not be there for long and it'll look good if you leave with a smile on your face (and the envious glances of ex-colleagues are also a comforting source of satisfaction... )
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              Be gracious and go - you never know, said manager may not be there for long and it'll look good if you leave with a smile on your face (and the envious glances of ex-colleagues are also a comforting source of satisfaction... )
              I have the option of not going as they haven't consulted me about the arrangements so have nicely clashed it with something I already do on that evening.

It is really not pleasant spending an evening with someone you don't get on with.
              "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

It is really not pleasant spending an evening with someone you don't get on with.
                Which is why the various ex-Mrs Brillos are so grateful for our progressive divorce laws.

Comment

Originally posted by kevpuk View Post
                  Anonymous call to the authorities, telling that you discovered what appear to be bones in the basement?
                  No bones, but definitely some skeletons, fresh ones too.....
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I just sneak out as most people i have ever worked with piss me off and no way do i want to go drinking with them

Comment

I have the option of not going as they haven't consulted me about the arrangements so have nicely clashed it with something I already do on that evening.

If you got on with or can stand everyone else but the manager and the company tends to have a turn over of managers, then it's worth going and making sure you don't sit next to said manager.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X