• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Leaving Protocol

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Leaving Protocol"

Collapse

• Project Monkey
    replied
    Just slip out the back, Jack
    Make a new plan, Stan
    You don't need to be coy, Roy
    Just get yourself free
    Hop on the bus, Gus
    You don't need to discuss much
    Just drop off the key, Lee
    And get yourself free.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    If you got on with or can stand everyone else but the manager and the company tends to have a turn over of managers, then it's worth going and making sure you don't sit next to said manager.
    Company doesn't have a big turnover, this person has been there for years despite p!ssing loads of people off and having countless rows with people publicly.

Team is small and consists of one annoying narcissist who likes to think they're everyone's best friend, lunatic manager and two others one of whom I was replacing while they were off, so don't really know them and the other person who is pretty decent but won't come along anyway.

Will see how some internal and external negotiations go regarding new gigs, but have the get out of my regular sports evening which is on the same night.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    I have the option of not going as they haven't consulted me about the arrangements so have nicely clashed it with something I already do on that evening.

It is really not pleasant spending an evening with someone you don't get on with.
    If you got on with or can stand everyone else but the manager and the company tends to have a turn over of managers, then it's worth going and making sure you don't sit next to said manager.

Leave a comment:

• Mincepie
    replied
    I just sneak out as most people i have ever worked with piss me off and no way do i want to go drinking with them

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by kevpuk View Post
    Anonymous call to the authorities, telling that you discovered what appear to be bones in the basement?
    No bones, but definitely some skeletons, fresh ones too.....

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    It is really not pleasant spending an evening with someone you don't get on with.
    Which is why the various ex-Mrs Brillos are so grateful for our progressive divorce laws.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Be gracious and go - you never know, said manager may not be there for long and it'll look good if you leave with a smile on your face (and the envious glances of ex-colleagues are also a comforting source of satisfaction... )
    I have the option of not going as they haven't consulted me about the arrangements so have nicely clashed it with something I already do on that evening.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Am faced with a similar issue when I leave, same problem with manager and they are organising a ''team dinner'' for when I leave, as there is someone else leaving the same day.

The last thing I want is to spend the evening with said manager in some crappy restaurant of their choice.

Bad form to not go?
    Be gracious and go - you never know, said manager may not be there for long and it'll look good if you leave with a smile on your face (and the envious glances of ex-colleagues are also a comforting source of satisfaction... )

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Am faced with a similar issue when I leave, same problem with manager and they are organising a ''team dinner'' for when I leave, as there is someone else leaving the same day.

The last thing I want is to spend the evening with said manager in some crappy restaurant of their choice.

Bad form to not go?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by I just need to test it View Post
    How about a leaving speech where you lavish praise on the manager you didn't get on with?

Steer clear of making it farcical but go as close as you dare. Be gushing. Make sure his skin crawls. But keep your expression stoic.

Don't stop until his complexion turns beetroot.
    Great idea. Definitely use phrases like 'calm strategic leadership' and 'a steady hand at the wheel'.

Leave a comment:

• I just need to test it
    replied
    How about a leaving speech where you lavish praise on the manager you didn't get on with?

Steer clear of making it farcical but go as close as you dare. Be gushing. Make sure his skin crawls. But keep your expression stoic.

Don't stop until his complexion turns beetroot.

Leave a comment:

• Alias
    replied
    grass seeds in the keyboard?

Leave a comment:

• kevpuk
    replied
    Anonymous call to the authorities, telling that you discovered what appear to be bones in the basement?

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Do they have outside green space that you can dig up and plough with salt? Otherwise, just mine the key installations and be on your way with a cheery wave.

Might be a bit risky considering where he works.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Do they have outside green space that you can dig up and plough with salt? Otherwise, just mine the key installations and be on your way with a cheery wave.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X