• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Salmond "We can take Scotland in two weeks"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will be the lender of last resort though?

Comment

Irvine Welsh has an interesting take on matters - I wish to associate myself with these remarks....

Labour Pains, Labour of Love |
      I'd give my right dick to be normal.....

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
        I beg to differ

or a completely free floating independent currency. The last of these possibilities has been all but ruled out – and for fairly obvious reasons. Scotland has a lot of debt, both public and private. As home to the UK’s two largest banks, total debt is off the scale relative to GDP once financial liabilities are also taken into account. It would be impossible for the new currency to stand behind such mountainous foreign currency obligations. And if sterling debt was redenominated in the local currency, it would be tantamount to default, creating a massive financial and economic crisis.
        It will have an independent currency, but I agree that it may not be free floating and pegging to sterling is obvious.

Here is the think about borrowing: if you were an international investor, where would you see the risks of Scottish sovereign debt if it was backed by oil reserve collateral? As opposed to rUK sovereign debt?

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          Will be the lender of last resort though?
          Very simple. New currency, plus new central bank. Easy.

Comment

oil revenue will be dropping to 2.5 billion by 2020.

That is not enough to cover our 6 billion overspend.

Comment

Why an independent scotland could become the richest country on earth

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                oil revenue will be dropping to 2.5 billion by 2020.

That is not enough to cover our 6 billion overspend.
                I expect that's a ridiculous untruth, and I will await Batcher's stupid lie and then pick something in between.

Comment

Originally posted by Runs With Scissors View Post
                  Irvine Welsh has an interesting take on matters - I wish to associate myself with these remarks....

Labour Pains, Labour of Love |
                  I got this far and switched off:

I came from a family of trade unionists, and in my youth I was a Labour Party supporter. My political hero was Tony Benn.
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                    I got this far and switched off:

I came from a family of trade unionists, and in my youth I was a Labour Party supporter. My political hero was Tony Benn.
                    Is that when your principles resistor blew?

Comment

Tony Benn was against independence.

Comment

Working...
                      X