• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Salmond "We can take Scotland in two weeks"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raging paranoia now, fermented by the SNP...

BBC News - Scottish independence: Crowd protests against 'BBC bias'

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
      Hmm who should we believe Martin Gilbert, chief executive of Aberdeen Asset Management who control a trillion in assets or minestrone who's assets are a few empty cans of super- Cali?

Martin Gilbert, chief executive of Aberdeen Asset Managemen
      There will be no CU.

...worth pointing out that AAMs FUM would not be based out of Scotland and that he only forsees it being a 'success' if there is a CU.
      Another view from Deutsche Bank would result in massive instability and higher borrowing costs.

Comment

I think they hysteria is coming from you and the no side. You do know we will still have BOE behind us for 18 months after the vote?

I have a friend who works in Barclays wealth and he says there is no extra activity with capital, it's all media spin.
        Only gullible no voters would fall for this obvious stupidity.
        I think your friend may work in the kitchens. There is extra activity with capital movement, however most of the contingency work is preparation for Friday if there is a Yes vote. Ask your friend - he should surely know this? Ask him if he's been signing NDAs recently?

It's also worthy noting that Barclays Wealth is not a retail bank - the real impact is movement within the retail sector as that hits public confidence.. Banks are already fielding the 'can you move my cash into a bank in England' calls. The public may not realise that sterling is sterling is sterling, but that's not the point. Once personal cash starts moving, the pressure on the banking sector to ring fence cash in the RUK to demonstrate that it's away from Scotland starts to reinforce Scottish debt as toxic.

A 'Yes' vote will be very very very painful - which shouldn't stop people voting with their heart - but the consequences are real.

Comment

Originally posted by jemb View Post

A 'Yes' vote will be very very very painful - which shouldn't stop people voting with their heart - but the consequences are real.
          There are some nice articles on the economies of Ireland, New Zealand and a few other small nations floating around some of the newspapers. Worth the "Yes" voters reading. In all cases the articles make clear that income and social taxes are much higher in those countries and the issues of relying heavily on exports.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by jemb View Post
            I think your friend may work in the kitchens. There is extra activity with capital movement, however most of the contingency work is preparation for Friday if there is a Yes vote. Ask your friend - he should surely know this? Ask him if he's been signing NDAs recently?

It's also worthy noting that Barclays Wealth is not a retail bank - the real impact is movement within the retail sector as that hits public confidence.. Banks are already fielding the 'can you move my cash into a bank in England' calls. The public may not realise that sterling is sterling is sterling, but that's not the point. Once personal cash starts moving, the pressure on the banking sector to ring fence cash in the RUK to demonstrate that it's away from Scotland starts to reinforce Scottish debt as toxic.

Painful for all the no voters yes. Voting no without doubt means more tory rule and probably a Boris/Farage government which will regard Scotland as a afterthought.

It's strange there are so many other independent small nations with 10% the resources Scotland have who are successful yet people like you think Scotland will fail. Face it Yes is happening despite the scaremongering, join Team Scotland and become positive rather than putting Scotland down all the time.

Comment

Painful for all the no voters yes. Voting no without doubt means more tory rule and probably a Boris/Farage government which will regard Scotland as a afterthought.

It's strange there are so many other independent small nations with 10% the resources Scotland have who are successful yet people like you think Scotland will fail. Face it Yes is happening despite the scaremongering, join Team Scotland and become positive rather than putting Scotland down all the time.
              Probably the No voters are thinking of history like this

Please note the article was published in February 2007.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                The vote looks very close.

Scottish independence referendum - Poll Tracker - BBC News

I doubt the polls can predict the outcome.
                I reckon a number of 'yes' will bottle it at the last minute giving the 'no' a comfortable lead. The same thing happened with the Quebec referendum.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  Scotland has not had a surplus since the 80s. We cant pay our way even with all the oil that is fast running out.

This has been the biggest con job I can think of, how people are voting from this. We are absolutely fooked if it happens.
                  A iScotland would needs to chop the public sector in half overnight. It's too big for such a small country. That would soon balance the books.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    I sold my house in 2008, rented for 2 years and went back in after the correction. I wish I had done the same again now.

House prices will be down 30% in a couple of years.
                    Do you have some evidence for that or are you just floating it?

House prices were supposed to crash across the UK in 2008. We're still waiting.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      Probably the No voters are thinking of history like this

Please note the article was published in February 2007.
                      300 years on we have Oil and various other successful industries in Scotland so there is no chance of that happening. In fact an independent Scotland will be one of the richest countries in the world at the same time knocking the rUK down a few places, hence the onslaught from London.

Comment

Working...
                      X