• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A compliment that made my day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saw a bloke in Köln wearing one of these:

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Mentioned this to my Mrs who is a professional interpreter and translator in German, she's been studying German for like 18 years and has lived long term in Hamburg and Berlin and no-one has ever said to her she has a <insert German locality here> accent, it just doesn't happen in real life unless you truly do relocate and immerse and live in one area for like eons.

Not in Luton.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        Mentioned this to my Mrs who is a professional interpreter and translator in German, she's been studying German for like 18 years and has lived long term in Hamburg and Berlin and no-one has ever said to her she has a <insert German locality here> accent, it just doesn't happen in real life unless you truly do relocate and immerse and live in one area for like eons.

Not in Luton.
        Suity probably doesn't realize Germans can be as sarcastic as your typical brit
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post

Not in Luton.
          I've been here 25 years now and my German is tulip, well I think so but Germans say its pretty good especially seeing as I've never learnt it however I do quite often get asked if I'm from Hamburg as apparently I sound like them (don't look like one though!) Iknow people who have been here 40+ years and speak German fluently, including localised slangs and dialects, but still sound somewhat British
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
            I've been here 25 years now and my German is tulip, well I think so but Germans say its pretty good especially seeing as I've never learnt it however I do quite often get asked if I'm from Hamburg as apparently I sound like them (don't look like one though!)
            Having said that; about my Russian I was told by my mrs that I sound like a Georgian (i.e. in Russian terms a bit thick) like Stalin, who was Georgian. But generally a bit thick, and I've studied Russian since the early 80's kind of hoped I'd have done better than basically a Russian version of a Gyppo....

Comment

So I am clearly awesome.
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                I've been here 25 years now and my German is tulip, well I think so but Germans say its pretty good especially seeing as I've never learnt it however I do quite often get asked if I'm from Hamburg as apparently I sound like them (don't look like one though!) Iknow people who have been here 40+ years and speak German fluently, including localised slangs and dialects, but still sound somewhat British
                Learning a language as an adult means you can't lose some of the accent of your mother tongue when you speak it.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                  So I am clearly awesome.
                  Don't wake up....
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                  X