• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "A compliment that made my day"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    So I am clearly awesome.
    Don't wake up....

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    I've been here 25 years now and my German is tulip, well I think so but Germans say its pretty good especially seeing as I've never learnt it however I do quite often get asked if I'm from Hamburg as apparently I sound like them (don't look like one though!) Iknow people who have been here 40+ years and speak German fluently, including localised slangs and dialects, but still sound somewhat British
    Learning a language as an adult means you can't lose some of the accent of your mother tongue when you speak it.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    So I am clearly awesome.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    I've been here 25 years now and my German is tulip, well I think so but Germans say its pretty good especially seeing as I've never learnt it however I do quite often get asked if I'm from Hamburg as apparently I sound like them (don't look like one though!)
    Having said that; about my Russian I was told by my mrs that I sound like a Georgian (i.e. in Russian terms a bit thick) like Stalin, who was Georgian. But generally a bit thick, and I've studied Russian since the early 80's kind of hoped I'd have done better than basically a Russian version of a Gyppo....

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Mentioned this to my Mrs who is a professional interpreter and translator in German, she's been studying German for like 18 years and has lived long term in Hamburg and Berlin and no-one has ever said to her she has a <insert German locality here> accent, it just doesn't happen in real life unless you truly do relocate and immerse and live in one area for like eons.

Not in Luton.
    I've been here 25 years now and my German is tulip, well I think so but Germans say its pretty good especially seeing as I've never learnt it however I do quite often get asked if I'm from Hamburg as apparently I sound like them (don't look like one though!) Iknow people who have been here 40+ years and speak German fluently, including localised slangs and dialects, but still sound somewhat British

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Mentioned this to my Mrs who is a professional interpreter and translator in German, she's been studying German for like 18 years and has lived long term in Hamburg and Berlin and no-one has ever said to her she has a <insert German locality here> accent, it just doesn't happen in real life unless you truly do relocate and immerse and live in one area for like eons.

Not in Luton.
    Suity probably doesn't realize Germans can be as sarcastic as your typical brit

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied

Not in Luton.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Saw a bloke in Köln wearing one of these:

Leave a comment:

• Bacchus
    replied
    Another confirmation tonight.

The barman overheard me speaking English. Then he started speaking English to me afterwards.

"All this time I thought you were German, because you are fat and eat so much sausage"
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Everyone knows bags are penetrable when wet

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    MI6 here I come
    Good luck with that....

MI6 spy Gareth Williams, whose body was found stuffed in bag, 'was poisoned' | Mail Online

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Another confirmation tonight.

The barman overheard me speaking English. Then he started speaking English to me afterwards.

"All this time I thought you were German, but I couldn't place your accent".

MI6 here I come

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    Just stop with the self congratulation. It's grim.
    Nope its just pathetic as is....

I'm still waiting to see how Suity snatches defeat from the jaws of victory this time around..

Leave a comment:

• Dactylion
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    Just STFU you tart.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    I must apologise for banging on about Germany yet again. The real troopers are my family for putting up with me "practising" on them, and enduring German telly.

I do go on sometimes, like a kid in a sweet shop. And when I later realise I do go

I'm a bit of a tw@ really.
    Just stop with the self congratulation. It's grim.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X