• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract day rate changed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    This is one of the many of PCs mates we are talking about
    And birds of a feather flock together.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Hardly the time to be complaining about taking a 20% rate cut... The world is burning and there isn't much going on beyond your current contract.

Comment

The companies that are "taking advantage" are few and far between when GDP drops by 30-40%, many companies need to cut costs drastically just to keep solvent.

I would accept your 20% cut. The market is currently awash with laid off contractors.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by DDD1 View Post
          Hey all,

I started a new contract on the 8th of March and it runs until 15th May. The agency I got the contract with informed me yesterday that due to Coronavirus my day rate will be reduced by 20% which is in line with how they are treating perm staff. I'm unsure if they can actually do this seeing as the contract runs until 15th May. Also, treating contractors how they are treating perm staff doesn't sit right, what with the benefits perm staff will still receive.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
          First thing I would do is speak to the end client and make sure this is not just the agent trying it on. If it is legit then I would probably take it and look for something else.
          Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

You could accept the change and do 20% less work - seems fair to me

Comment

Originally posted by wcsltd View Post
              You could accept the change and do 20% less work - seems fair to me
              one day less in fact

Comment

If you're working at home, accept and then work 25% less hard.

Comment

Had this happen to me in the 2008 financial crisis. I took the cut. I hear some banks ( the red and white types ) do this routinely when a contractor starts

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

It's a slightly worrying sign they view you like an employee or it could be a cynical ploy. You can challenge it but if this is imposed across the workforce it sounds a bit unlikely to work.

Worth a push but be polite and professional, don't make threats you aren't prepared to follow.

How/why are they reducing all permie salaries 20%? That is surely needing consent unless they are furloughing which is very different. Are they just seeing the 80% figure in the headlines and jumping on board?
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by MisterLysenkiy View Post
                      one day less in fact
                      As long as you spread that across the week. Otherwise you'll only be able to bill for four days.
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X