• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Claiming JSA - my experience

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mikedarv View Post
    My umbrella contract ended 30th Sept, I applied for JSA on 30th Oct. Got confirmation with a couple of days and first payment expected this week, seemed straight forward.
    What do you mean by umbrella contract? Contract with client via brolly or your actual engagement with the umbrella itself. If the later how did you leave. That post doesn't really help as it is.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

PayStream Umbrella contract since beginning of March working for Redbridge Council, got sick with Covid (no joke for anyone that still doesn't believe in it, 41 degree temperature and couldn't breath which threw me in panic attacks which then made it worse, plus all the other tulipty symptoms. Self treatment since you don't get anything), being ill for 3 weeks made me lose my job. A sick contractor is no good to anyone

Since the PayStream Umbrella company doesn't do furlough and from reading on here about Universal Credits, I am just getting around £450 a month via LTD Furlough claim. Lucky I didn't close it down last year. So in the end IR35 is ******* amazing for contractors. I rather get unemployment like all other EU countries, chomage, for around %80 going down to %70 over the course of a year.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        What do you mean by umbrella contract? Contract with client via brolly or your actual engagement with the umbrella itself. If the later how did you leave. That post doesn't really help as it is.
        Pretty clear, I think, that it's far more likely to be the former than the latter.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by cwah View Post
          Hello

I'm applying for JSA now. It's asking me if I've been unemployed for the last 6 months.

Technically, I'm employed by my own LTD company and paying myself £790/month.

However, I don't have contract anymore. So my company doesn't receive money anymore.

So what should I write? Do I put myself as employed or unemployed?

Thank you
          You are probably going to have to lay yourself off and get a P45..... you have been employed.

I think they ask this because periods of unemployment within 6 months are counted as "linked"
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mikedarv View Post
            My umbrella contract ended 30th Sept, I applied for JSA on 30th Oct. Got confirmation with a couple of days and first payment expected this week, seemed straight forward.
            but you lost a month there....
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              Pretty clear, I think, that it's far more likely to be the former than the latter.
              I would have probably thought that most of the time but we've got a current running thread with the guy claiming unfair dismissal from his client and he doesn't appear to understand who his contract is with and thinks it's with the client even though he's still employed by the umbrella so just checking.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

This link on New Style JSA
                Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA): Apply for 'new style' JSA - GOV.UK

If you cannot work because of coronavirus (COVID-19)
                You can claim JSA if you cannot work but you’re still getting paid by your employer (‘on furlough’) or through the Self-Employment Income Support Scheme.

Both of the following must also apply:

you usually work less than 16 hours a week

you meet the other eligibility requirements for JSA

So you can claim if your a director been furloughed?

Comment

Originally posted by stphnstevey View Post
                  So you can claim if your a director been furloughed?
                  Yes, if you meet all the criteria.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                    Yes, if you meet all the criteria.
                    Which is unlikely

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                      Which is unlikely
                      I know that, but wanted to play along.

Comment

Working...