• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expenses question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    FTFY

The same is true of your own limited company.
    Very true but I hope people see Umbrellas as a short term solution so much more likely to apply than a LTD.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

FTFY

The same is true of your own limited company.
      I didn't know that. Bit of an extreme example but what happens in the case of guys who have been at clientco for years and then go perm with them? They'll only have been able to claim expenses for 2 years (subject to the usual caveats) but may have been onsite for another couple of years after that. Would they then owe income tax on those expenses payments from 4 and 3 tax years previous? I can't imagine many people get pulled up on that one.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
        I didn't know that. Bit of an extreme example but what happens in the case of guys who have been at clientco for years and then go perm with them? They'll only have been able to claim expenses for 2 years (subject to the usual caveats) but may have been onsite for another couple of years after that. Would they then owe income tax on those expenses payments from 4 and 3 tax years previous? I can't imagine many people get pulled up on that one.
        Tax would be due on all expenses which have been claimed which shouldn't have been.

So, if you only worked at one place of work, then it cannot be a temporary place of work, so any travel, subsistence or accommodation expenses claimed would be taxable.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Tax would be due on all expenses which have been claimed which shouldn't have been.

So, if you only worked at one place of work, then it cannot be a temporary place of work, so any travel, subsistence or accommodation expenses claimed would be taxable.
          This is only true in a situation where you do one gig only through your LTD? With a LTD your home is your perm location which isn't the same as an Umbrella.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            This is only true in a situation where you do one gig only through your LTD? With a LTD your home is your perm location which isn't the same as an Umbrella.
            Yes.

There was some clarification recently about it, which made it clear that if you have done multiple gigs (whether via umbrella or Ltd), then the locations are temporary. This updates the guidance from HMRC from a couple of years back which said that the last gig means it's a permanent location.

I just forgot the recent clarification when I wrote the above.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Be very careful with Umbrellas though. You won't be able to claim expenses for your last gig as it will become your permanent place of work not a temporary one. The same if you only do one gig for them. It will automatically be a perm one and you will have to pay your expenses back.
              NO. As per my last post, there was some clarification about this - if you have done multiple locations, then the last gig no longer automatically becomes a permanent place of work (subject to the 24 month rule etc).

A few years ago it did, but no longer.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

NO. As per my last post, there was some clarification about this - if you have done multiple locations, then the last gig no longer automatically becomes a permanent place of work (subject to the 24 month rule etc).

A few years ago it did, but no longer.
                Wow, am confused now...

So this is irrelevant now?

“As soon as a contractor knows that the assignment will be their last, the umbrella company is correct to prevent contractors from claiming expenses,” explains Crossland. “The rules say that the workplace – the client’s offices in this case – become permanent when the assignment is expected to last for the rest of the period of employment.”

Comment

[QUOTE=northernladuk;1956713]Wow, am confused now...

Yes. That was posted Tuesday, May 18, 2010.

There has been a clarification since then. There was a thread about it not so long ago, and I said the same thing, but Lisa corrected me and pointed to the relevant update.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

[QUOTE=northernladuk;1956713]Wow, am confused now...

Because I'm so nice to you, here's the posts where Lisa explained it, I questioned it, and she confirmed it:

Unless it's your final engagement, because that workplace can no longer be considered temporary any more.
                    Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                    Not exactly - if a worker has a series of temporary (i.e. of a limited duration) assignments which are not linked through an over-arching employment contract then each one would be considered a permanent workplace for tax purposes. A final workplace which represents a second or third etc assignment remains a temporary workplace provided that the worker is engaged under a genuine over-arching contract. This is a complicated area and my compliance manager here (who is ex HMRC) has had clarification from HMRC on this very point (they don't make life easy you know )
                    I guess it's changed since last year?
                    Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                    We've had clarification from HMRC since last year
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Because I'm so nice to you, here's the posts where Lisa explained it, I questioned it, and she confirmed it:
                      Ohhh... That's interesting. Thanks for that.

I don't know why it's such a drag for you to be helpful to me. I give you enough grammar crumbs to keep you entertained.

Comment

Working...
                      X