• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expenses question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
    Are you serious? Me thinks this is a sockie wind-up but I'll answer anyway.

If the umbrella invoices the client at £3000 per month and then pays you £700 expenses, they have £2300 remaining to pay your salary, tax, national insurance, and deduct their admin fee.

If an umbrella could magic up £700/mo. from thin air then we'd all be using them!

Only way this could happen is if the client agrees to pay expenses in addition. I.e. £3000 + £700.
    Newbie question - don't knock them, either answer them helpfully or move onto the next thread. We were all starters at one point...

Comment

I've been looking into this myself and an umbrella I'm with will allow £105 per night for a London accomodation (£90 elsewhere). So assuming you are staying four nights per week, travelling back on Friday, and you can find accommodation for £700 a month, you should be able to claim all the expense.

Comment

Originally posted by Scotchpie View Post
        I've been looking into this myself and an umbrella I'm with will allow £105 per night for a London accomodation (£90 elsewhere). So assuming you are staying four nights per week, travelling back on Friday, and you can find accommodation for £700 a month, you should be able to claim all the expense.
        Hi Scotchpie,

If you don't mind me asking, what umbrella are you with? I'm with Parasol and I'm unsure of what their policies are on accommodation in London.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
          Newbie question - don't knock them, either answer them helpfully or move onto the next thread. We were all starters at one point...
          Just to be clear it wasn't newbie bashing - I'm definitely not in to that.

Comment

However I'm beginning to get suspicious of possible trolling atm.

I'm keeping an eye on it...
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Scotchpie View Post
              I may have totally misunderstood you here but are you saying that you should be able to claim £105 per night x 4 nights x 4 weeks which is £1680.00 even if you have only spent £700??
              Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                I may have totally misunderstood you here but are you saying that you should be able to claim £105 per night x 4 nights x 4 weeks which is £1680.00 even if you have only spent £700??
                I read it as there is a cap of £105 a night, so £700 for the month would be allowed as it's under the cap.

Comment

Originally posted by sophia57 View Post
                  Hi Scotchpie,

If you don't mind me asking, what umbrella are you with? I'm with Parasol and I'm unsure of what their policies are on accommodation in London.
                  I'm with Giant. According to their expenses policy:

"You may claim for the actual receipted cost of the accommodation per night up to a maximum of:
                  Accommodation in London (within M25) £106.00
                  Accommodation elsewhere (outside M25) £90.00"

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post

Contras being a newbie basher? LOL I have heard it all. Contreras is one of our seasoned and well respected poster. He is (annoying) polite to any poster how ever stupid the question is (but I am working on him so hopefully will change soon ) and always offers correct and detailed advice. He's kind of completely the opposite of me really.

But it's like anywhere is life. You ask stupid/uniformed/lazy questions you cannot expect people to be nice all the time.
                    Last edited by northernladuk; 26 June 2014, 09:12.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                      No, you only get back what you paid (you need to present the receipt). So if you found accommodation for £40 per night you get £40 per night expenses. If you go over the limit you have to fork out for the difference yourself.

Comment

Working...
                      X