• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expenses question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Very true but I hope people see Umbrellas as a short term solution so much more likely to apply than a LTD.
    This,
    Umbrellas will manipulate your pay slip by adding in things like "Holiday Pay / Commission" to your Basic Pay so you pay the lowest income tax and NI. This allows them cream off the rest. And they keep a cut of the VAT too!
    Last edited by CloudWalker; 26 June 2014, 15:27.

Comment

Originally posted by CloudWalker View Post
      This,
      Umbrellas will manipulate your pay slip by adding in things like "Holiday Pay / Commission" to your Basic Pay so you pay the lowest income tax and NI. This allows them cream off the rest. And they keep a cut of the VAT too!
      I really really need to leave the umbrella and start a Ltd.

Comment

And they keep a cut of the VAT too!
        How do umbrellas keep a cut of the VAT?

They invoice the agency including VAT, they pay the VAT over to HMRC, surely?
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Brollys are ok if you don't want the hassle of running a company.
          But If you do run your own company then you still need to pay an accountant company minimum £95 per month to do most of the stuff for you. That is unless you know what your doing and can balance the books yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by sophia57 View Post
            I'm with Parasol and I'm unsure of what their policies are on accommodation in London.
            Why don't you ask them?

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              How do umbrellas keep a cut of the VAT?

They invoice the agency including VAT, they pay the VAT over to HMRC, surely?

The dodgy "Off Shore" umbrella companies in the Isle of Man dont

http://www.offshoreumbrellacompanies.com/
              Last edited by CloudWalker; 26 June 2014, 16:22.

Comment

This,
                An employee of the umbrella is not entitled to claim VAT so "And they keep a cut of the VAT too!" is as wrong as it is meaningless!

Comment

So when you said that umbrella companies keep a cut of the VAT, you meant that dodgy offshore umbrella companies keep a cut of the VAT?

This is hardly indicative of the umbrella industry.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

This,
                    No. Absolutely not. Tax avoidance schemes may operate in this way, umbrella companies do not
                    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                      No. Absolutely not. Tax avoidance schemes may operate in this way, umbrella companies do not
                      What about flat rate VAT? Do Umbrellas utilise this?
                      Blood in your poo

Comment

Working...
                      X