• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracts/schedules and notice periods

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracts/schedules and notice periods

Initial contract came with schedule which indicated rate and notice period. Notice period quoted was one week in first month and then 4 weeks after first month - for both parties.

Agency have just issued me an extension/amendment with no notice period quoted - just a change of dates (new start date following on from end of last one, until end date). 8 weeks duration.

Since no notice period is mentioned I'm guessing I can assume the one week notice ran from the beginning of the entire contract (i.e. is now passed) so now we're into 4 week notice even for extension. i.e. It doesnt start again - 1 week notice for first month etc.

Hmm. 8 weeks duration I normally look at short notice period to be honest.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Notice periods are for permies.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Notice periods are for permies.
      Nevertheless a lot of contracts do have them.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        Nevertheless a lot of contracts do have them.
        But they are more or less useless.
        Last edited by northernladuk; 18 June 2014, 23:10.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

What NLUK said. Come on PC, you've been round the block long enough, you must know about MOO, and how they aren't obligated to offer you work, and you aren't obligated to accept?

Comment

This really does look like a non issue to me. 8 weeks is hardly a life sentence. You've worked for them before so you know what they're like. What's the risk?

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

Hmm. 8 weeks duration I normally look at short notice period to be honest.
              If I had a piece of work that would take 8 weeks I would not want a notice period at all... if someone leaves part way through it'll probably lose me 25-50% of the work done while the next person takes over.

Stop looking for ways to get out of things and start focusing on getting things done.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

If you want the work, take it. You were happy with four weeks notice when you had eight weeks left of the previous contract and you're in the same situation now.
                The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

It's 8 weeks FGS, take it, bank it, move on.....

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
                    It's 8 weeks FGS, take it, bank it, sign on.....
                    FTFY
                    The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Working...
                    X