• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contracts/schedules and notice periods"

Collapse

• psychocandy
    replied
    nothing like a bit of moaning

Leave a comment:

• Taita
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Initial contract came with schedule which indicated rate and notice period. Notice period quoted was one week in first month and then 4 weeks after first month - for both parties.

Agency have just issued me an extension/amendment with no notice period quoted - just a change of dates (new start date following on from end of last one, until end date). 8 weeks duration.

Since no notice period is mentioned I'm guessing I can assume the one week notice ran from the beginning of the entire contract (i.e. is now passed) so now we're into 4 week notice even for extension. i.e. It doesnt start again - 1 week notice for first month etc.

Hmm. 8 weeks duration I normally look at short notice period to be honest.
    Just curious. Have you ever had a contract you have not moaned about here?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    if you read ive asked for opinions on which would apply.
    If you read what you'd written, you'd see that at no point in this thread have you posed a question.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Well you have got 2 options.

1) Re-negotiate terms of your renewal.
    2) Moan like a bitch to us.

Although you have opted for option 2 you still have a card you can play.. It's called negotiation.
    if you read ive asked for opinions on which would apply.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    jsa for contractors and self employed too. i dont make the rules.

if you make a personal decision not to claim its up to you.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    So is job seekers allowance.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Notice periods are for permies.
    So is job seekers allowance.

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    Another longer running/better gig comes up and I miss out. To be honest, current gig is not my main area and I dont want to be stuck doing it but its betten than JSA!
    Tomorrow is promised to nobody

at the moment you've got 8 weeks in the bag.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Another longer running/better gig comes up and I miss out.
    Why don't you put the contract you actually have first? Easy solution - stop looking for other contracts the whole time

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Another longer running/better gig comes up and I miss out. To be honest, current gig is not my main area and I dont want to be stuck doing it but its betten than JSA!
    Well if the client wanted someone who might bail on them mid-contract then they'd probably be paying less. Why do you want to bail on your client mid-contract?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Well you have got 2 options.

1) Re-negotiate terms of your renewal.
    2) Moan like a bitch to us.

Although you have opted for option 2 you still have a card you can play.. It's called negotiation.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    This really does look like a non issue to me. 8 weeks is hardly a life sentence. You've worked for them before so you know what they're like. What's the risk?

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by GillsMan View Post
    What NLUK said. Come on PC, you've been round the block long enough, you must know about MOO, and how they aren't obligated to offer you work, and you aren't obligated to accept?
    Yeh course I know about MOO. But come on - give a months notice and then say I wont be in for the month and start another gig = almighty tulip storm as you well know. Even clients dont do that that often.

But agree to one weeks notice and they might be wassed off if I invoke but it wont be as bad.

Leave a comment:

• Antman
    replied
    Originally posted by speling bee View Post
    FTFY
    Very clever!

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by tractor View Post
    It's 8 weeks FGS, take it, bank it, sign on.....
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

Working...
X