• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Extension delay / lead time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extension delay / lead time

My contract is up in 3 weeks, I have been promised an extension but the decision is at board level and it has been deferred twice now. I would really like an extension (5 min commute and the money is ok) but I feel I need to start looking around at this point as 2 weeks is not a long lead time.

I guess there is a chance they could defer again, which reduces my lead time again. At what point do I “call time” and start looking in earnest. I am not prepared to interview/apply without letting the agent know I may get extended as I don’t want to harm relationships. Has anyone been in a similar situation? How did it go?

I have always waited until I'm free to start looking again, but a friend of mine starts looking as soon as the contract end is in sight.

Personally I need a few days to swot up for the inevitable techie interview questions because I don't retain all that stuff in memory unless I have been using it. Admittedly I would like to go straight from one contract into the next but I always make sure I have enough in the bank to tide me over.

If it's not earning that you are worried about, then you might want to rein in your outgoings because you might have to subsidise yourself through a long period on the bench. Due to an unexpected career change (to put it euphemistically) I just sat on the bench for 4 1/2 months.

Comment

It doesn't harm to put your cv on line and activate some automated emails from the jobboards.
      It's your business/income you need to protect and not that of the client's board that can't make a decision,

Comment

WHS.

Personally, I don't bother until I know for definite (had many extensions run down to the last day although usually had the nod ahead of time - no guarantee, had the nod once and got a 'sorry, it's all been pulled' on the last day !)

Comment

Is this a serious question?

Comment

Well I was left with 6 unplanned weeks on the bench once when a promised extension did not materialise - so now I start looking about 3 weeks before the end.

Updating Linkedin status and taking the odd phone call from agencies also means that promised extensions turn into actual paperwork pretty quickly if they really want to keep you!

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
              Is this a serious question?
              +1 to that. How do some people cope with contracting?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                +1 to that. How do some people cope with contracting?
                There are many of them about and I keep asking myself how they can stand all that worry!
                Last edited by Taita; 5 June 2014, 16:14. Reason: Typo

Comment

Originally posted by Tasslehoff View Post
                  My contract is up in 3 weeks, I have been promised an extension but the decision is at board level and it has been deferred twice now. I would really like an extension (5 min commute and the money is ok) but I feel I need to start looking around at this point as 2 weeks is not a long lead time.

I guess there is a chance they could defer again, which reduces my lead time again. At what point do I “call time” and start looking in earnest. I am not prepared to interview/apply without letting the agent know I may get extended as I don’t want to harm relationships. Has anyone been in a similar situation? How did it go?
                  Are you mad?

Here is PCs way of doing things:-

1) 3-4 weeks before end start looking.
                  2) Dont tell current agent or client unless you REALLY want an extension and want to use this to force their hand.
                  3) If another agency calls you - tell them you're deffo leaving in x weeks (otherwise they wont bother because they'll think you'll waste their time and stay where you are anyway.
                  4) If its 3-4 weeks to go, tell them its 2-3 otherwise they'll be put off.
                  5) Unless you really want extensions, dont sign immediately and wait and see if something else comes in.
                  6) Keep looking in case extension offer falls through.

All about keeping options open and, in best case, at contract end having option to extend if you want or take another offer somewhere else.
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    Are you mad?

Here is PCs way of doing things:-

1) 3-4 weeks before end start looking.
                    2) Dont tell current agent or client unless you REALLY want an extension and want to use this to force their hand.
                    3) If another agency calls you - tell them you're deffo leaving in x weeks (otherwise they wont bother because they'll think you'll waste their time and stay where you are anyway.
                    4) If its 3-4 weeks to go, tell them its 2-3 otherwise they'll be put off.
                    5) Unless you really want extensions, dont sign immediately and wait and see if something else comes in.
                    6) Keep looking in case extension offer falls through.

All about keeping options open and, in best case, at contract end having option to extend if you want or take another offer somewhere else.
                    And now you know what PC would do you can take the other option....
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X