• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Extension delay / lead time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Longest time without work = 2 weeks before last September. Thats in 25 years perm (redundant 3 times) and contract.

Last September was longest ever by a mile. So your comment is a little unfounded.
    You've spent a third of your time, since then, on the bench.

Comment

Originally posted by adam42 View Post
      I have a few problems telling the recruiters outright lies - here are some suggestions:

Fair enough, as long as you didn't agree to keep them in the loop.

Just say you have a good relationship with your current client and you're sure you can negotiate the leaving date.

Why lie, just say the same as above.

... but be prepared to field questions from them as they try to pin you down. They will not want a long lead time getting a new person.

Yes to a certain extent but you might also want to care for your reputation with the client you are potentially leaving. They won't be grateful if they are suddenly a man down.

I believe if you maintain your moral high ground then this will come across well (as long as you're not snotty about it) in future dealing with recruiters i.e. if they think you are a decent character they are less likely to shaft you - and that can apply right from the first phone contact, not just with recruiters you've built a relationship with.
      +1 to this.

Comment

Working...
      X