• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Extension delay / lead time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    And now you know what PC would do you can take the other option....
    NLUK - please provide your take on this then?
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      And now you know what PC would do you can take the other option....
      I kind of think PC has got it right on this one. Just strange how the OP is thinking that he can't figure it out for himself.....

But I get what you are saying as a general rule

Comment

I have a few problems telling the recruiters outright lies - here are some suggestions:

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        1) 3-4 weeks before end start looking.
        2) Dont tell current agent or client unless you REALLY want an extension and want to use this to force their hand.
        Fair enough, as long as you didn't agree to keep them in the loop.

3) If another agency calls you - tell them you're deffo leaving in x weeks (otherwise they wont bother because they'll think you'll waste their time and stay where you are anyway.
        Just say you have a good relationship with your current client and you're sure you can negotiate the leaving date.

4) If its 3-4 weeks to go, tell them its 2-3 otherwise they'll be put off.
        Why lie, just say the same as above.

5) Unless you really want extensions, dont sign immediately and wait and see if something else comes in.
        ... but be prepared to field questions from them as they try to pin you down. They will not want a long lead time getting a new person.

6) Keep looking in case extension offer falls through.

All about keeping options open and, in best case, at contract end having option to extend if you want or take another offer somewhere else.
        Yes to a certain extent but you might also want to care for your reputation with the client you are potentially leaving. They won't be grateful if they are suddenly a man down.

I believe if you maintain your moral high ground then this will come across well (as long as you're not snotty about it) in future dealing with recruiters i.e. if they think you are a decent character they are less likely to shaft you - and that can apply right from the first phone contact, not just with recruiters you've built a relationship with.

Comment

Are you mad?

Here is PCs way of doing things:-

1) 3-4 weeks before end start looking.
          2) Dont tell current agent or client unless you REALLY want an extension and want to use this to force their hand.
          3) If another agency calls you - tell them you're deffo leaving in x weeks (otherwise they wont bother because they'll think you'll waste their time and stay where you are anyway.
          4) If its 3-4 weeks to go, tell them its 2-3 otherwise they'll be put off.
          5) Unless you really want extensions, dont sign immediately and wait and see if something else comes in.
          6) Keep looking in case extension offer falls through.

All about keeping options open and, in best case, at contract end having option to extend if you want or take another offer somewhere else.
          Given the amount of time you find yourself on the bench, don't be offended if I give this a swerve.

Comment

Is NorthWestPerm2Contractor a NLUK multi? Seems they are peas in a pod

Comment

Originally posted by Tasslehoff View Post
              Is NorthWestPerm2Contractor a NLUK multi? Seems they are peas in a pod
              Sounds like you really are a newbie and not somebody else's sockie. 47 posts eh? Is that the total number of posts you have read as well?

Comment

I'm in agreement with PC on this.

I always keep my options open at the end of a contract, mainly because clients and pimps have strung me along in the past to keep their options open.

I think sometimes the client thinks I will stop acting professionally if I know the contract is not extending which is totally wrong. I always want to keep the door open to go back to a client in the future.

Pimps, on the other hand, will bulltulip you until the cows come home if it suits their agenda.

Comment

Originally posted by GazCol View Post
                  Given the amount of time you find yourself on the bench, don't be offended if I give this a swerve.
                  Longest time without work = 2 weeks before last September. Thats in 25 years perm (redundant 3 times) and contract.

Last September was longest ever by a mile. So your comment is a little unfounded.

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
                    I'm in agreement with PC on this.

I always keep my options open at the end of a contract, mainly because clients and pimps have strung me along in the past to keep their options open.

I think sometimes the client thinks I will stop acting professionally if I know the contract is not extending which is totally wrong. I always want to keep the door open to go back to a client in the future.

Pimps, on the other hand, will bulltulip you until the cows come home if it suits their agenda.
                    EXACTLY. If it suits them they will do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
                      Sounds like you really are a newbie and not somebody else's sockie. 47 posts eh? Is that the total number of posts you have read as well?
                      Yep, very much a newbie and as such appreciate all the constructive comments I can get. I also realize you hardened road warriors fuse is slightly shorter than that of many of your less experienced peers, so feel free to vent.

Comment

Working...
                      X