• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ways to ditch the agent/agency from the loop

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Yeah well, now you know why your attitude makes it that much harder for the grown ups to improve the contractor business model.

Agencies are a £27bn a year business just in the freelance market, they aren't going to go away. What we should be aiming for is to make the business case why they need to work better and smarter with us and for the junior double-glazing salesmen they use as front line staff to get to be at least as professional as we are, and to recognise that our businesses are every bit as real as theirs. Sorry if that's a bit hard to understand, but that's reality for you...
    Bravo!

Comment

Just in case anyone had any doubts as to why I no longer regularly contribute to threads on CUK (apart from being significantly busier these days) - multiple examples of threads like this....are mainly the reason....CUK is more like Agent Bashing Central. I'll be back to contribute on threads that take the direction malvolio is headed, working together to iron out the traditional issues and generate mutually beneficial relationships!

Oh and Gardener.....
      "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
      SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Originally posted by The Agents View View Post
        Just in case anyone had any doubts as to why I no longer regularly contribute to threads on CUK (apart from being significantly busier these days) - multiple examples of threads like this....are mainly the reason....CUK is more like Agent Bashing Central. I'll be back to contribute on threads that take the direction malvolio is headed, working together to iron out the traditional issues and generate mutually beneficial relationships!

Oh and Gardener.....
        Read the thread again. There are a few muppets - mainly n00bs, with the exception of Boo, whose "everyone's an agent" schtick is desperately tedious. The majority of worthwhile contributors around here recognise agents for what they are, namely part of the process.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
          Read the thread again. There are a few muppets - mainly n00bs, with the exception of Boo, whose "everyone's an agent" schtick is desperately tedious. The majority of worthwhile contributors around here recognise agents for what they are, namely part of the process.
          WJBS. It's really clear that a number of us see agents as part of the process; an outsourced sales department. I've stuck up for agencies multiple times, including in this thread, as have a number of other people.

Comment

Originally posted by GillsMan View Post
            WJBS. It's really clear that a number of us see agents as part of the process; an outsourced sales department. I've stuck up for agencies multiple times, including in this thread, as have a number of other people.
            +1 if an agent gets me a £500 day role i really don't care if hes getting £600 a day...
            Last edited by kal; 25 June 2014, 09:49.

Comment

Originally posted by kal View Post
              +1 if an agent gets me a £500 day role i really don't care if hes getting £600 a day...
              What if the Agency is getting £750 and you are getting £350? I always use agents and they are a necessary evil but they should be regulated to make sure the rate they are paid is transparent to the contractor.

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
                What if the Agency is getting £750 and you are getting £350? I always use agents and they are a necessary evil but they should be regulated to make sure the rate they are paid is transparent to the contractor.
                ABSOLUTELY this

Comment

Originally posted by kal View Post
                  I would but if I found out after I had signed I wouldn't get upset about it...

..until renewal time at which time I would come down on him/her like a ton of bricks.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X