• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ways to ditch the agent/agency from the loop

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    But where are you allowing for CUK affecting contractor efficiency?
    Days worked * Day Rate = Cost...?
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Why

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
      Why do you want to ditch the agency as a matter of interest?
      Hi Lisa,

Why would I want to ditch a parasite? Because its a parasite. It is not even a symbiosis, it is pure parasitic activity I get from an agent. No benefits pure grief.
      To those trying to shame me into guilt because agent "found me a client and facilitated everything" I suggest pulling your heads out of your asses and think again, I mean really zoom out and look at the picture.

Comment

Originally posted by gardener View Post
        Hi Lisa,

Why would I want to ditch a parasite? Because its a parasite. It is not even a symbiosis, it is pure parasitic activity I get from an agent. No benefits pure grief.
        To those trying to shame me into guilt because agent "found me a client and facilitated everything" I suggest pulling your heads out of your asses and think again, I mean really zoom out and look at the picture.
        What a ******* moron.
        Last edited by northernladuk; 20 June 2014, 14:54.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          What a moron.
          I think you've missed a word there, between "a" and "moron". Care to fill in the blank?
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Good spot sir. Fixed.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

What a ******* moron.
              He must be a sockie, no one can be that stupid in real life...

Comment

Originally posted by gardener View Post
                Hi Lisa,

I've worked direct and via agencies.

Pros of agencies (IMO)
                - no chasing clients for payment. Most agencies pay contractors on shorter terms than clients will do & your relationship with a client can get a bit strained if you are constantly having to remind them to pay on time.
                - a huge proportion of businesses head to agencies when they have a requirement for a contractor. I use them alongside non-agency networking, but I definitely wouldn't ignore them. I expect them to get a margin for this service - no "guilt" just business.
                - agency repeat business. If you do a good job in one of their clients they will often approach you directly for another client rather than advertise role.
                - rate negotiation. In the past 12 months I've spotted agencies actually beginning to negotiate up rates with clients at the discussion stage. They have an incentive to get the rate as high as possible (commission plus larger pool of contractors) & it saves me doing it!

On the con side
                - they are sales people & you have to get beyond the spin to find out what the client really wants.
                - contracts are a mixed bag. I'd much rather use my own.
                - they have limited understanding of IR35, Agency Regs etc
                - ridiculous amount of paperwork
                - some of them don't tell the truth about roles they are advertising .....

But having "pulled my head out of my ass" and "zoomed out and had a look at the picture" I've decided I'm ok with them being part of said picture.

Comment

What a ******* moron.
                  Spoken like a true agent.

Boo

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
                    Spoken like a true agent.

Boo
                    Yawn.

Comment

What a ******* moron.
                      interesting, I didn't expect my suggestion to pull your head out of your arse will make you push it all the way back in

Comment

Working...
                      X