• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice on contract vs a 12 month FTC?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by simplicity View Post
    Update- the FTC company increased the salary to £50k and I verbally accepted. But now my contract job have upped the rate to £260. What do I do? I feel bad to turn down the FTC as I verbally accepted and the job is interesting but my contract role will give me more take home pay as I'm ltd. I've been in same contract for some time.
    Again.. forgetting the money aspect... Which of the two roles is more interesting and will give you new skills to be able to command more in the contract market?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Update- the FTC company increased the salary to £50k and I verbally accepted. But now my contract job have upped the rate to £260. What do I do? I feel bad to turn down the FTC as I verbally accepted and the job is interesting but my contract role will give me more take home pay as I'm ltd. I've been in same contract for some time.
      Take the contract role.
      The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Take the FTC role.

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
          Take the contract role.
          Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Take the FTC role.
          Are you starting?
          The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

Comment

The FTC is much more interesting and will definitely help me get a better PM contract in future. They upped the salary so appear serious - the other contract only upped the rate after I said I'm leaving despite me asking since last year. Also the rate increase has to be formally approved next month so not immediate.

Comment

Again.. forgetting the money aspect... Which of the two roles is more interesting and will give you new skills to be able to command more in the contract market?
              WNS

Take the role which in 6-12 months time will enable you to command more in the contract market.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The FTC is much more interesting and will definitely help me get a better PM contract in future. They upped the salary so appear serious - the other contract only upped the rate after I said I'm leaving despite me asking since last year. Also the rate increase has to be formally approved next month so not immediate.
                There is your answer then IMO. Might not get as much as the contract role but call it an investment that will payback well over your career.

Comment

There is your answer then IMO. Might not get as much as the contract role but call it an investment that will payback well over your career.
                  pay back

George Frederic Watts

Comment

The FTC 'salary' - does the employer pay the Employer's NI? Or does that come out of your £50K. If the employer is paying the NI, then figures-wise there's not such a huge difference.

If the FTC is going to get you useful skills for the future, it sounds like a good bet.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                      The FTC 'salary' - does the employer pay the Employer's NI? Or does that come out of your £50K. If the employer is paying the NI, then figures-wise there's not such a huge difference.

If the FTC is going to get you useful skills for the future, it sounds like a good bet.
                      Always look to the long term. More money now isn't any good if you end up with a skill set or experience no one wants....
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X