• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Advice on contract vs a 12 month FTC?"

Collapse

• simplicity
    replied
    Sorry I did hijack! I accepted the FTC too....

Leave a comment:

• MB1983
    replied
    I think "Simplicity" hijacked my thread!

Anyway… I accepted the FTC at an increased offer of £48k. A week later the other company finally decided to offer me the contract, but it was too late. The work involved in the FTC is going to look good on my CV and I'm sure it'll make me more competitive in the contract market afterwards.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by simplicity View Post
    Update- the FTC company increased the salary to £50k and I verbally accepted. But now my contract job have upped the rate to £260. What do I do? I feel bad to turn down the FTC as I verbally accepted and the job is interesting but my contract role will give me more take home pay as I'm ltd. I've been in same contract for some time.
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Both of these are right.

Only you know which one is right for you, though.
    Apparently not.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by speling bee View Post
    Take the contract role.
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Take the FTC role.
    Both of these are right.

Only you know which one is right for you, though.

Leave a comment:

• simplicity
    replied
    The FTC is basically with the same terms as a permanent role in regards to NI etc.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    The FTC 'salary' - does the employer pay the Employer's NI? Or does that come out of your £50K. If the employer is paying the NI, then figures-wise there's not such a huge difference.

If the FTC is going to get you useful skills for the future, it sounds like a good bet.
    Always look to the long term. More money now isn't any good if you end up with a skill set or experience no one wants....

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    The FTC 'salary' - does the employer pay the Employer's NI? Or does that come out of your £50K. If the employer is paying the NI, then figures-wise there's not such a huge difference.

If the FTC is going to get you useful skills for the future, it sounds like a good bet.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    There is your answer then IMO. Might not get as much as the contract role but call it an investment that will payback well over your career.
    pay back

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    The FTC is much more interesting and will definitely help me get a better PM contract in future. They upped the salary so appear serious - the other contract only upped the rate after I said I'm leaving despite me asking since last year. Also the rate increase has to be formally approved next month so not immediate.
    There is your answer then IMO. Might not get as much as the contract role but call it an investment that will payback well over your career.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Again.. forgetting the money aspect... Which of the two roles is more interesting and will give you new skills to be able to command more in the contract market?
    WNS

Take the role which in 6-12 months time will enable you to command more in the contract market.

Leave a comment:

• simplicity
    replied
    The FTC is much more interesting and will definitely help me get a better PM contract in future. They upped the salary so appear serious - the other contract only upped the rate after I said I'm leaving despite me asking since last year. Also the rate increase has to be formally approved next month so not immediate.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by speling bee View Post
    Take the contract role.
    Take the FTC role.
    Are you starting?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Update- the FTC company increased the salary to £50k and I verbally accepted. But now my contract job have upped the rate to £260. What do I do? I feel bad to turn down the FTC as I verbally accepted and the job is interesting but my contract role will give me more take home pay as I'm ltd. I've been in same contract for some time.
    Take the FTC role.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Take the contract role.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Again.. forgetting the money aspect... Which of the two roles is more interesting and will give you new skills to be able to command more in the contract market?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X