• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best strategy for getting a contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gabox01 View Post
    Yeah, it's not the content i'm primarily interested in, but rather the structure, and general presentation of the CV. Could be that something is wrong here as mine looks pretty much like a permie CV minus the hobbies section.
    Some posters here have offered in the past to have a look at CVs and see what they think of them. DodgyAgent offered to do it at one stage, but if you aren't in his recruitment area then you probably won't get a response back.

There are professional CV review services available, but I'd steer well clear of them. If you have been claiming JSA for a while, then some Job Centres will provide CV writing help - RichardCranium had a good workshop that helped him out, but you'd need to make sure that the person you are dealing with understands the work that you do.

Some friendly agents might do a review - I've had a couple pass comment on mine and I've made some minor tweaks based on that.

Ask some successful contractors that you know if they wouldn't mind having a look over your CV - one project I did a few years back three of us swapped CVs and reviewed wording, style and content (or lack) between us to see how that helped.

There are ways of finding out if you are on the right track, you just have to see which one works best for you.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Yes, just wanted to get rid of permie calls.
      You'd be better off just handling the calls by explaining politely that you are looking for contract work - they may cover both areas and bear you in mind if something suitable comes up.

It's a good idea, but then it looks like i'm chasing something, and I don't really want to chase, but want to be chased by recruiters.
      If you don't want to chase, then don't chase. But don't moan that you aren't getting anywhere if you are expecting agents to chase you when they have plenty of other fish in the sea to haul in.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

If you don't get a gig before the warchest runs out you might be thankful for them for sending permie roles.....
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yes, just wanted to get rid of permie calls.

It's a good idea, but then it looks like i'm chasing something, and I don't really want to chase, but want to be chased by recruiters.
          No it doesn't it by ringing an agent it means that you confirm you CV will have been seen by the agent. It means that you are no longer bottom of the pile and also shows that you are proactive which is what agents want contractors to be.... Then make sure you know why

And if you want an excuse just say that you believe Jobserve is playing up and want to ensure they have received it.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            If you don't get a gig before the warchest runs out you might be thankful for them for sending permie roles.....
            Thanks, my warchest is in good condition.
            I have received at leat 50 permie offers so far, so i think it's more than enough.

Comment

I think a lot of people think there is a silver bullet for getting a new contract but I tend to find making sure the CV is a fair representation of yourself (although the days of a killer CV getting you in the door have long gone, hitting the job sites, dealing with (mostly) time wasting phone calls, tapping any contacts and working LinkedIn eventually pays dividends if rinsed and repeated enough times.

Market conditions and the need for your skillset are the main factors, IMHO.

Comment

Working...
              X