• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Early termination of contracy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early termination of contracy

Hi, just looking for some advice. I recently left a permanent job after 9 years to start a contact with another telecoms company. I was told the contracy would be for 6 on the with a strong possibility of extensions beyond that - so I took the plunge. Within 6 weeks the contract has been terminated because of a budget challenge. Although technically I'm on a 2 week notice period, do I have a right to claim for the full 6 months given that I only left my other job because I was led to believe this role would last at least 6 months?

Originally posted by rzahmed View Post
    Although technically I'm on a 2 week notice period, do I have a right to claim for the full 6 months given that I only left my other job because I was led to believe this role would last at least 6 months?
    In short: No.
    All part of the contractors' lot I'm afraid.
    Clarity is everything

Comment

Use the search function as described here and look for 'Notice period' or 'Early termination' etc

http://forums.contractoruk.com/welco...uk-forums.html

Loads and loads of opinions on this ranging from forget it and move on through, invoice it and see what happens through to some people that insist you fight it..

Bottom line is your contract probably says you are paid as long as you have a signed time sheet. If you didn't work you don't get a signed time sheet you don't get paid. That's contracting.

Oh, and don't kid yourself notice periods are guaranteed either. If the work dries up the client could quite easily give you two weeks notice but no work to do. No work, no timesheet etc etc..
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

My first contract has been 6 weeks

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I thought I would have to accept it for what it is and just move on nevertheless I thought I would check to see what the accepted wisdom was.

Comment

Working...
          X