• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Training & IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Training & IR35

Hi,

I'm working on getting CCIE certified and ClientCo's client has offered me a spot on a course I was looking at booking myself anyway.

They have a couple of permies booked on a course next week, one of which broke his ankle and is now unable to attend. I work in an entirely different area of the business in a different infrastructure team and they have offered his spot on the course to me to save it going to waste as they can't get a refund at this late stage and literally noone else to go.

I've offered to pay for the course myself but this isn't doable as the end client have no mechanism to invoice/accept payment from MyCo.

Both ClientCo and end client are happy for me to go and still bill my time and I wondered how this would sit with IR35?

Should I not take it? do the week for free and not bill for my time? or fill my boots?

TIA

Taking the course as a stand alone issue. If they are willing to let you sit in a course that has a spare spot then go. Keep any documentation you can detailing that you are just taking a spare spot up and that you were not allocated a training spot as part of any ongoing skilling up of the workforce. IMO that should be more than enough to make it a none flag. Some free training doesn't make you an employee.
    If you decide not to bill it would be an even bigger differentiation and I keep changing tact on this even while I am typing. Half of me says if client is willing to let you bill then fill your boots. Other half of me thinks you shouldn't really be charging a client for free training, you are not actually doing any work for them.....but you wouldn't go on the training if he hadn't asked so you shouldn't lose out.. Ah bollocks to it. Bill it if they really don't mind.

My question would be the bigger picture and how the client sees you. Are you seen as part and parcel of the organisation to even be asked this? Are the so complacent with you to allow you to bill while not doing work for them?Secondly would be what does the client want from you when you have done the training. If he is going to allocate you work based on the fact you have been on the course then I would certainly start worrying about your situation. The perfect situation would be that you go on it and never touch that tech again. From what you say this could be the case.

I would quite happily take the course but look at the working practices before and after going on the course.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 24 March 2014, 20:15.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I would take the course and not bill for it (just a personal preference).
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        My question would be the bigger picture and how the client sees you. Are you seen as part and parcel of the organisation to even be asked this? Are the so complacent with you to allow you to bill while not doing work for them?
        I don't work for the part of the business that booked the course. I work in an entirely different team in a different location and don't know anyone from the other team. They offered it out to my business area, all contractors, rather than see a few grand wasted. I also see it as an opportunity to "network" with the others and gain contacts for potential future work within their team.

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Secondly would be what does the client want from you when you have done the training.
        It's not a new skill to me, its something I'm currently contracted to provide. The course takes me to a more advanced level with that particular skill.

Comment

Take the course, bill for the time and pay for the labs and the exam yourself? You have committed to the customer whilst at the same time being certified at your own expense...
          I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Might not be a new skill but sounds like an improvement to an existing skill used on the contract which could be considered personal development.

Comment

also consider that you are not part and parcel of the end client. Its very common for company's to offer up courses to other departments when the employee booked can no longer attend. I personally agree with Cojak's advice.

Comment

Originally posted by sociopath View Post
                also consider that you are not part and parcel of the end client. Its very common for company's to offer up courses to other departments when the employee booked can no longer attend. I personally agree with Cojak's advice.
                Eh? Mine was first. Brown noser!

Comment

Originally posted by sociopath View Post
                  Might not be a new skill but sounds like an improvement to an existing skill used on the contract which could be considered personal development.
                  What does that have to do with it?

Comment

Risk versus reward.

How likely are you to get an IR35 investigation?

If you do get investigated, how likely is it that clientco mention they gave you a place on the course.

And if they do, you have the emails presumably that show that this course place was going free, and not part of any employee training plan.

I'd do it. And if they let me bill, even better.

Comment

Working...
                    X