• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agencies - ask me to agree to contract without seeing it - that old chestnut

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Scruff - genuinely would be interested to hear your rationale I must admit. It obviously works for you.
    And by the way the agencys react when you do kick off I don't think you're the only one.

So, I take it you do see the contract before start just dont get it properly reviewed before start? So what happens if you get it reviewed after start and something IR35 BAD BAD BAD appears.
    He has already commented in two posts he knows enough to review them himself. Where we could argue his knowledge until we are blue in the face I am sure he is aware of what is really bad. Makes the rest of your post hypothetical really.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Surely, if not, you'd be walking on thin IR35 ice then. Fair point about working practices but if the contract is bad then thats failure #1.

Also, surely then also operating outside IR35 when you've got a contract you know to be inside IR35 is going to cause problems if you ever get picked up on it. i.e. fines etc because you 'knew'.
      I take the same view as Scruff tbh, plus an assessment of the likelihood of being spot-checked for the IR35-isms...basically keep it real, focus on working practices, and don't do hysterical, hand-wringing paranoia (of which, I think there's a little too much on CUK - but each to their own).
      Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        He has already commented in two posts he knows enough to review them himself. Where we could argue his knowledge until we are blue in the face I am sure he is aware of what is really bad. Makes the rest of your post hypothetical really.
        I guess most of us with a few years experience could make a decent stab of reviewing contracts for IR35 ourselves from a content perspective. But an independent review by a qualified outfit gives you an extra line of defence when HMRC come a-knockin' on your door, and may help deflect them quickly so they go after easier prey.

Comment

Originally posted by aoxomoxoa View Post
          I guess most of us with a few years experience could make a decent stab of reviewing contracts for IR35 ourselves from a content perspective. But an independent review by a qualified outfit gives you an extra line of defence when HMRC come a-knockin' on your door, and may help deflect them quickly so they go after easier prey.
          Not arguing this and I mention this ad infinitum. The point was to PC and his bad bad bad clause question but yes a review is a must (except maybe renewals using same template)

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Because he is boarding on incompetent.
            Do you mean "bordering on"?
            As in getting very close to (by implication - so close as to actually qualify)

Jeez You are obviously bordering on illiterate

Comment

Originally posted by Dactylion View Post
              Do you mean "bordering on"?
              As in getting very close to (by implication - so close as to actually qualify)

Jeez, you are obviously bordering on illiterate
              FTFY
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                FTFY
                Owned!!

Comment

Jeez all agreed based on schedule and terms of business. Agent phoned me today - so we'll just do contract.

Talk about leaving it until the last minute so you aint got chance to argue. Told them yes Im sure it'll be ok if its based on the schedule and terms already agreed.
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Jeez all agreed based on schedule and terms of business. Agent phoned me today - so we'll just do contract.

Talk about leaving it until the last minute so you aint got chance to argue. Told them yes Im sure it'll be ok if its based on the schedule and terms already agreed.
                    Are you a new contractor?

Off course you have a chance to argue.

I've got contracts reviewed, changed and agreed within 24 hours and over weekends.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I never get my contracts reviewed.

Comment

Working...
                      X