• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agencies - ask me to agree to contract without seeing it - that old chestnut

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agencies - ask me to agree to contract without seeing it - that old chestnut

So get the offer at 7pm last night. Plus an email asking me to give in 7 days notice at current client so that I can start in 7 days, plus can I reply to email to accept contract (based on list of rate, client, location and that's it).

So reply saying can I at least see the draft contract before I commit? Just had an agent on now (took them till 1pm today to phone me back mind) a bit aggrieved. I even said once I'd seen the draft contract I would agree in principle pending contract review and hand in notice to client

You can almost guess what he said.

1. Email counts as the contract. (It might do but it means I'm forced into accepting something I haven't even seen. Its like going into Currys and them asking you to cough up for a fridge you've got no details about).

2. Everyone else agrees to it like this. (That old chestnut).

3. No need to get contract reviewed because ours is the best in the business (I'd be a rich man if I had a quid for every time I heard this).

4. If you don't hand in your notice today to start next Thursday client will can it. (Unlikely especially since I know someone who works at client and the team has been told I'm starting week monday).

5. Can't issue any sort of contract even draft until they get compliance docs off me. (Better ask me for them then and then pull your finger out if your that bothered).

Of course, aware that its not in their interests to let me see the contract. They'd rather I handed in my notice, agreed via email then they've got me by the nuts because I pretty much have no leverage to change anything.

Not saying they would shaft me (never know with agencies and this one has a bad rep - starts with a H) but sometimes I get the feeling that they do actually manage to get most contractors to go for this.

Please tell me its not me being awkward here. In the past, I've found some agencies might try it on a tad but most will happily send draft contract out (with start dates, company names etc to be added later) with no problems at all.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Please tell me its not me being awkward here
    Nope.

TBH, why on earth do you even need to ask?

Comment

So get the offer at 7pm last night. Plus an email asking me to give in 7 days notice at current client so that I can start in 7 days, plus can I reply to email to accept contract (based on list of rate, client, location and that's it).

So reply saying can I at least see the draft contract before I commit? Just had an agent on now (took them till 1pm today to phone me back mind) a bit aggrieved. I even said once I'd seen the draft contract I would agree in principle pending contract review and hand in notice to client

You can almost guess what he said.

1. Email counts as the contract. (It might do but it means I'm forced into accepting something I haven't even seen. Its like going into Currys and them asking you to cough up for a fridge you've got no details about).

2. Everyone else agrees to it like this. (That old chestnut).

3. No need to get contract reviewed because ours is the best in the business (I'd be a rich man if I had a quid for every time I heard this).

4. If you don't hand in your notice today to start next Thursday client will can it. (Unlikely especially since I know someone who works at client and the team has been told I'm starting week monday).

5. Can't issue any sort of contract even draft until they get compliance docs off me. (Better ask me for them then and then pull your finger out if your that bothered).

Of course, aware that its not in their interests to let me see the contract. They'd rather I handed in my notice, agreed via email then they've got me by the nuts because I pretty much have no leverage to change anything.

Not saying they would shaft me (never know with agencies and this one has a bad rep - starts with a H) but sometimes I get the feeling that they do actually manage to get most contractors to go for this.

Please tell me its not me being awkward here. In the past, I've found some agencies might try it on a tad but most will happily send draft contract out (with start dates, company names etc to be added later) with no problems at all.
      You don't need confirmation. Every day you read in these very fora why you should NOT do as the agent suggests. Tel the dorks to get their finger out or you will take the other contract that just came up.

Comment

1. Email counts as the contract.
        Accepting that as true (which it isn't), send them a copy of the standard PCG one or the QDos free example, with as much detail as you can put in them, and tell them that in the absence of a contract, they need to sign your one and send it back to you.

Highlight that by using a Qdos or PCG one, you won't need to get it reviewed because it's already been done.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Thanks. Just checking because as you lot keep telling me I'm a moany whining git (I know I am!).

Seems Hays have a bit of a bad rep for their contracts.

Comment

Thanks. Just checking because as you lot keep telling me I'm a moany whining git (I know I am!).
            I don't think that is quite true.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Please tell me its not me being awkward here.
              Not at all. You say you've got a contact at the client? Pass the message on that you're looking forward to starting, and mention in passing some red tape with the agent. Nobody's buying this "the client will can it" rubbish, so call their bluff.

I guess pimps must get away with this sort of nonsense sometimes, since they keep trying it.

Comment

Originally posted by borderreiver View Post
                Nope.

TBH, why on earth do you even need to ask?
                Because he is boarding on incompetent.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yep, they do like to try it on.

With a 7 day notice, I'd simply say, I accept, subject to seeing the actual contract, and I will hand in my notice as soon as I have been given the contract, and had it reviewed to my satisfaction.

Anything else, and you are just opening yourself up to hassle further down the line as we see time and again on here.

This pushes the onus back onto the agent to get the contract sorted.

In most cases, the agent should have an example contract to hand to send straight away. If they can't even do that, my suspicions are immediately raised.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    I don't think that is quite true.
                    That I'm a moany git or that I know it?

Comment

Working...
                    X