• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agencies - ask me to agree to contract without seeing it - that old chestnut

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    I'm guessing you do actually know all the answers to all the questions you've posed you little scamp
    I honestly believe he doesn't.....
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      Not long now:

Originally posted by captainham View Post
      ...until you have some sort of stress-related heart attack...

Comment

Forgot what questions now. You mean from my original post?
        Not sure lol it's hard for me to keep up with you, you have double the amount posts I've made since I joined.
        In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          I honestly believe he doesn't.....
          In that case the search is your best friend, I have found most topics here are already covered in some way, shape or form hence I only post in the professional forums if failed to find anything useful when searching.
          In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk
            If you read my post I wasn't responding you. ******* moron.
            Not a lot I can say here is there. :-)
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Nice on Brian. Wasnt Hays was it?
              Not Hays, but they are just as big.
              "it's people like Jim, Jim MacDonald, who keep me going,"

tulip in your flowerbed

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Potter View Post
                Not Hays, but they are just as big.
                Spring?

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
                  Not sure lol it's hard for me to keep up with you, you have double the amount posts I've made since I joined.
                  Sometimes, the emptiest vessels make the loudest noise.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

So get the offer at 7pm last night. Plus an email asking me to give in 7 days notice at current client so that I can start in 7 days, plus can I reply to email to accept contract (based on list of rate, client, location and that's it).

So reply saying can I at least see the draft contract before I commit? Just had an agent on now (took them till 1pm today to phone me back mind) a bit aggrieved. I even said once I'd seen the draft contract I would agree in principle pending contract review and hand in notice to client

You can almost guess what he said.

1. Email counts as the contract. (It might do but it means I'm forced into accepting something I haven't even seen. Its like going into Currys and them asking you to cough up for a fridge you've got no details about).

2. Everyone else agrees to it like this. (That old chestnut).

3. No need to get contract reviewed because ours is the best in the business (I'd be a rich man if I had a quid for every time I heard this).

4. If you don't hand in your notice today to start next Thursday client will can it. (Unlikely especially since I know someone who works at client and the team has been told I'm starting week monday).

5. Can't issue any sort of contract even draft until they get compliance docs off me. (Better ask me for them then and then pull your finger out if your that bothered).

Of course, aware that its not in their interests to let me see the contract. They'd rather I handed in my notice, agreed via email then they've got me by the nuts because I pretty much have no leverage to change anything.

Not saying they would shaft me (never know with agencies and this one has a bad rep - starts with a H) but sometimes I get the feeling that they do actually manage to get most contractors to go for this.

Please tell me its not me being awkward here. In the past, I've found some agencies might try it on a tad but most will happily send draft contract out (with start dates, company names etc to be added later) with no problems at all.
                    6 pages later........are you any better informed PC or can we expect you to ask the same questions again in about 3 weeks as usual?
                    Last edited by Taita; 21 March 2014, 17:48. Reason: typo

Comment

Tell you what I have learnt this past week? Never ever go anywhere near Hays if you can help it. Since they're such a big company I live in hope its just this office that are so bad.

Had a frank discussion with them on Friday afternoon and they assured it would all get sorted. Is it sorted? Is it bollacks? Not sure if they're doing it deliberately but they just don't seem to get it. They just think they can send contractor an email, they accept by email, then contractor just fills in a load of forms. No contract until you start, no negotiation. Ask them to clarify/change a few things and they're confused.

Its does seem they are more used to temp workers though. i.e. tell them they've got a "job", here's the forms, well done.

If I see another form with "Hays employee" on I'm gonna scream!!!!!

Funny thing is they 'know' I've got a mate who works in the client dept and is on good terms with his manager so they know what's going on, so all the agency are doing at the mo is pissing both me and the client off.
                      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X