• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ISEB BCS Business Analysis International Diploma

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Me neither but I suppose in general they would call this choking down pole.

Comment

Originally posted by Cenobite View Post
      This is why I think being an analyst looks like a good bet: many computer languages come and go even though in most cases they're object-oriented and the principles are the same (but try telling that to an agent). When I think about it, the main technologies which have stood the test of time are UNIX and JavaScript.

I guess it means that a BA is largely constrained in where they can work by their domain knowledge. Things like telecoms/banking experience.
      It's not as constrained as you might think. Some areas, particularly banking and perhaps insurance are quite difficult without domain knowledge but there's plenty of opportunity for more 'generic' BA's. Many companies have the same basic processes and limited variation in applications for things like finance, HR, sales etc. If you have experience of these it's portable.
      Generally they do prefer it if you have domain knowledge of their business but it's something I can generally overcome by demonstrating experience in a lot of different areas and a deep knowledge of the role.

As mentioned above, it is a lot about listening. To reduce it to a single line though I'd say it's about asking the right questions. As with PM roles you need to be able to build good relationships quickly, be able to mediate conflicts and have an understanding of the motivations and politics going on (while trying to avoid joining in).

Comment

Originally posted by Cenobite View Post
        But this is my contention: I'm not starting from zero. I've always been an analyst/developer. There's no such thing as a pure programming job any more: since the developers are often generally competent, they do much of the analysis, deployment, technical and systems architecture, and some testing.

Also, it's ten days, four exams and an oral exam (not sure if agents know that though). That sounds more substantial than a one day course with a certificate of attendance.

As an Agile Analyst, your main task is to talk non-technical with the customer and technical with the developers. I've been doing that for years and I think my development background gives me an advantage: the few BAs I've worked with have never written a line of code so don't know how precise requirements have to be in order they can be converted to code.

You're not the only one: I'm not convincing the agents either.
        Sorry Cenobite, I didn't mean anything by that - your OP said that you were a Dev, I wasn't sure how much analysis you already have.

If I were you I'd seriously look at 'Technical BA' roles, it sounds that with the right training you'd fit right into those roles. They are certainly not my area of expertise.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          Sorry Cenobite, I didn't mean anything by that
          Ha! No offence taken.

Comment

Working...
          X