• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Does a 12 month IT developer contract exist anymore?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does a 12 month IT developer contract exist anymore?

Hello All

It's been a long time since I have been here. The last post I think was late June 2013, I think.

I have been reading the utterly "Depressing" thread and it is a bit upsetting. All the advice, which I read over there, is bloody relevant. I will just add that if you stop "looking" then you will never find what you are looking for.

Is there anyone out there who has or knows somebody with a long It developer contract? I mean genuine 12 months long or so.

For what I have witnessed, I signed a 6 months contract at the beginning of year, but it was stopped by the client at just under 4 months. My current 3 months contract was suddenly whittled down to end of December. I started in the middle of October. Is it just me or is everybody feeling the sob story "Your contract has been stopped due to commercial pressures beyond my control. Sorry"

Yes. I know contracting is gambling and that is how it goes. However, is there some body out there who can gives a light at the end of tunnel, who can give up hope? There is person is doing it and doing it well and successfully. Is there anybody, who can say that contracting is really working for them and they either have had four 3 month contracts renewals in succession or 2 renewals of a 6 months contract or even had that lucrative rare one year contract deal? Is there that person out there who is rosy dandy? (I am being satirical, but you know what I mean)

Had a three month contract extended another 3 months, and now I've had verbal notice that an offer for another 6 months is incoming

It does happen, but it's largely pot luck of how quickly the budgets run out. It depends on the sector you're in as well
    Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Get a permie job if you want long term..

Comment

Does it really take 12 months to develop something nowadays? Are you expecting to be taken on as a developer to spend 12 months working on different projects?

and why is a 12 month contract more lucrative that 3 4 month renewals?

... and WSS.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Does it really take 12 months to develop something nowadays? Are you expecting to be taken on as a developer to spend 12 months working on different projects?

and why is a 12 month contract more lucrative that 3 4 month renewals?

... and WSS.
          Based on current clientco potentially yes......

but things happen things change so take the money, smile and laugh behind their backs....
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

IMHO you will rarely sign a 12 month contract, if you do it will be a FTC so you are basically a permie, the whole idea of contractors are temporary, flexible resource for which the client pays a premium, most contracts will be 3-6 months and if you are good, liked or in some certain situations the client is so ****ed up they don't know their arse from their elbow you will keep getting extended as work can usually be found for a good worker
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              IMHO you will rarely sign a 12 month contract, if you do it will be a FTC so you are basically a permie, the whole idea of contractors are temporary, flexible resource for which the client pays a premium, most contracts will be 3-6 months and if you are good, liked or in some certain situations the client is so ****ed up they don't know their arse from their elbow you will keep getting extended as work can usually be found for a good worker
              To be honest even if the client is well and truely ****ed you need to be good, lucky, liked or a combination of all three. If not they will still chuck you and find someone else....
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Sometimes goes the other way - my contract was 8 weeks, have now been there over 2 years, and just renewing for another 3 months...

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                  Sometimes goes the other way - my contract was 8 weeks, have now been there over 2 years, and just renewing for another 3 months...
                  +1

I signed a 3 month contract with current ClientCo in April 2012, and have been extended 3 times (including one 10 month extension) which takes me up to the start of Feb. There is already talk of an extension being offered but it would take me over 24 months so would have to be a significant rate hike.

Comment

The responses here surprise me.

I've personally done a 3 year run and now on a 1.5 year run with 6 month renewals.

I know of maybe 10 other contractors who all run and run in their contracts for years at a time till they get bored and decide to move on.

IR35 aside, it seems that when you know their systems, there is always enough work and not enough good people such that extensions are the norm.

This is London banking / finance but it seems like a different world.
                    Last edited by Kanye; 27 November 2013, 09:22.

Comment

Working...
                    X