• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

newbie desperdo

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

newbie desperdo

Hi all, I would really appreciate your help, this is my first try at being a contractor, been unemployed for over a year due to illness-the big C, over 10 yrs expience in financial services, I worked for lehman (trade support), reuters (data quality), pictet swiss (data mangt-corporate actions), national bank of Abu dhabi (asset mangt equity and fixed income). I applied for hundreds of permy jobs, went to few interviews with not much luck, either over qualified or no feedback. I have a degree in business and a postgraduate diploma in info systems, good knowledge of financial markets, trading platforms, excel, reuters Bloomberg. I want to find a BA role, it would suit my background, I haven't got a scoobydo where or how to start?!! Can't think right now it-s so depressing with a young family of 2 kids ....

If you want to contract as a BA then your CV must scream BA all over it.

In addition to get your first contract you must be willing to work anywhere in the country. The reason for this is that you have no track record as a contractor.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

It might suit your background but do you know what a BA actually does? I suspect agents and potential clients think not.

You may need to get qualifications as a BA before anyone looks at you. Take a look at ISEB - they have a BA Essentials course that may get you interviews.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

You will be on a hiding to nowhere being a newbie AND having a years break AND not having 10 years in the role you are applying for. Clients want contractors because they highly skilled and can demonstrate they have being carrying out the role they are looking to fill to the letter. They do not take on people that want to learn new skills or change careers. You are selling a service to a client. That's it.

I would re-think your situation and why you can't get a permie job first. If you are struggling there you are not going to get a contract one I am afraid.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

What on Earth is a "desperdo"?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            I would re-think your situation and why you can't get a permie job first. If you are struggling there you are not going to get a contract one I am afraid.
            One reason he's probably struggling is because he has had cancer.

Unfortunately employers still discriminate against people who have had cancer as unless the person has the complete all clear otherwise it counts as a disability. This is one reason why people with cancer have to try and stay in their existing job.

Obviously if you are an established contractor it's different as it's no-ones business if you decide to take a year.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Contract jobs can be easier to get than permie jobs in some circumstances. For example, ageism is rife in permiedom, but not in contracting. Similarly with cancer - so long as you're likely to live to see the contract end, the client and agent are not going to care.

Best bet is to look at the skills you have now, and try to get a contract with those skills. A year's break doesn't help, but it's not a disaster - there are creative ways around it that have been discussed here before.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                Similarly with cancer - so long as you're likely to live to see the contract end, the client and agent are not going to care.
                You surely can find the right words at the right time...
                <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Depending on which part of the country you're in, you may need to travel, but it's not necessarily so. Most of my contracting gigs have been in Edinburgh. London's the financial powerhouse, so there's heaps there. Getting in needn't be tough, but you probably need to get some relationships up with some worthwhile agencies. Get them to review your CV; they'll see thousands, so they can point you in the right direction on what to put. Use that as a free pointer. You might get contacted by some outfits who will offer to help you out "for a price" with career advice. Tell them to take a hike. You can do all they offer off your own back or a good agency or two can.

Sounds like you've got some investment experience there, so that's obviously worth noting somewhere at the top of the pile. There's tons out there for that.

BA roles are ten-a-penny but the market is mobbed currently. Do also consider test analyst roles too; they pay almost as well, sometimes better, and don't come with the additional stress that the BA one can sometimes have. This may or may not be a factor for you to consider. Seeing how the testing side of things is done is probably something a BA either already has done, or needs to do. The fruits of their labours all come out of the BA's requirements anyway!

Lastly, sorry to hear of your rough year, but things are going the right way now hopefully. Don't get too down about it all. Knock up the CV, talk to a couple of good agencies, badger them a bit, don't wait for the call. Once you've had a couple of contracts under your belt, the phone'll start going soon enough. Good luck, hope all goes well.

Comment

The primary problem is a year not working, plus no contracting experience.

But if you're cheap enough, you'll get the work. Once you've got the work, you renew at a rate that is sensible, or look for something else with the benefit of recent contracting experience on your CV.

If you're struggling to get anything, reduce your rate - think of it as an investment for the future.

Good luck, sounds like a tough year.

Comment

Working...
                    X