• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting direct with Company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting direct with Company

Hi guys,

I have been offered a 3 month contract with a company that I did a 3 month contract stint with last year. Now is it a simple and respected process to do this without going through an agency?

Who draws up a contract?
    Are there any negatives?
    What about IR35?
    Am I missing anything?

I'm pretty new to this game so any help will be massively appreciated.

I am a member of the PCG.

Thanks in advance!

They will draw up contract. You get it reviewed for IR35 amongst other things. Then off you go. Very easy. In my experience tho' the payment terms (payment schedule wise) are usualy pretty poor if it's a big company and you often have to chase invoices. You're just another supplier, and small fry at that. But factor in the agency cut for your dailly rate.

Comment

If you're a PCG member, why not (a) ask their forums for an opinion ( ) and (b) offer one of the PCG standard template contracts to the client (there is a direct supplier one for exactly that purpose). Then you have a basis for negotiation if the client wants to use their own; this is a two-way, business to business agreement, after all.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
        They will draw up contract. You get it reviewed for IR35 amongst other things. Then off you go. Very easy. In my experience tho' the payment terms (payment schedule wise) are usualy pretty poor if it's a big company and you often have to chase invoices. You're just another supplier, and small fry at that. But factor in the agency cut for your dailly rate.
        Thanks jeebo72, who 'reviews for IR35' purpose?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          If you're a PCG member, why not (a) ask their forums for an opinion ( ) and (b) offer one of the PCG standard template contracts to the client (there is a direct supplier one for exactly that purpose). Then you have a basis for negotiation if the client wants to use their own; this is a two-way, business to business agreement, after all.
          Thanks malvio but where is their forum? Can't find it :/

Comment

Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
            I'm in the process of agreeing a contract direct with a client. First time I have done this. After reading similar comments regarding payments I have requested they change their payment terms from 30 days to 7. Will see what happens!
            "You can't climb the ladder of success, with your hands in the pockets"
            Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

Originally posted by icemancomeths View Post
              Who draws up a contract?
              Either you or the client. If the client rarely takes on someone direct, then I'd try and do it yourself. PCG and QDOS have samples to use.

Are there any negatives?
              Most clients pay slower than an agency.
              What about IR35?
              What about it?
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

https://forum.pcg.org.uk/forum.php

Or go to "My PCG" and there is a big button labelled "Visit Forum"
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Thanks jeebo72, who 'reviews for IR35' purpose?
                  The same people that you use/pay for when you work through an agency. Not going to mention the usual suspects but do a search.

Comment

Login (top right of the main page) if you aren't already, then go to MyPCG at the right hand end of the list of grey buttons at the top of the page. There will be an obvious link from there.

Also use a PCG one and you won't need an IR35 review, provided what the contract says and how you work are fully aligned.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X