• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contracting direct with Company"

Collapse

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
    PCG forum?

Grab a copy of the PCG's standard template contract and get this submitted to the client ASAP. Stumping up with your own terms of business will head off them producing their own dodgy ones full of stupid clauses that you have to argue the point over.
    Why use the standard one when there's a fully-configured direct-to-client one?

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by icemancomeths View Post
    where is their forum? Can't find it :/
    PCG forum?

Grab a copy of the PCG's standard template contract and get this submitted to the client ASAP. Stumping up with your own terms of business will head off them producing their own dodgy ones full of stupid clauses that you have to argue the point over.

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Or you might find yourself obliged to have an argument about why you're not obliged to pay the agent his cut regardless of having the clause in the contract.
    I believe what OG may be referring to is the fact that most agents put in a standard exclusion term of 12 months, regardless of the length of the actual contract, and more often than not these would be unenforceable as they would be seen as an unreasonable restraint of trade.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by aoxomoxoa View Post
    You should check whether your contract through the agent last year included an exclusivity clause, and if so how long the exclusivity period is. Otherwise you might find yourself obliged to pay the agent his cut regardless of having gone direct.
    Or you might find yourself obliged to have an argument about why you're not obliged to pay the agent his cut regardless of having the clause in the contract.

Leave a comment:

• aoxomoxoa
    replied
    Hi guys,

I have been offered a 3 month contract with a company that I did a 3 month contract stint with last year. Now is it a simple and respected process to do this without going through an agency?

Who draws up a contract?
    Are there any negatives?
    What about IR35?
    Am I missing anything?

I'm pretty new to this game so any help will be massively appreciated.

I am a member of the PCG.

Thanks in advance!
    You should check whether your contract through the agent last year included an exclusivity clause, and if so how long the exclusivity period is. Otherwise you might find yourself obliged to pay the agent his cut regardless of having gone direct.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Either you or the client. If the client rarely takes on someone direct, then I'd try and do it yourself. PCG and QDOS have samples to use.

Most clients pay slower than an agency.
    What about it?
    The only time I went direct (except for one or two very small pieces of work done on an email and a handshake) was with a client who had never used a direct contractor. We used the PCG template, which I said were my standard term and conditions.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Thanks malvio but where is their forum? Can't find it :/
    Login (top right of the main page) if you aren't already, then go to MyPCG at the right hand end of the list of grey buttons at the top of the page. There will be an obvious link from there.

Also use a PCG one and you won't need an IR35 review, provided what the contract says and how you work are fully aligned.

Leave a comment:

• Antman
    replied
    Thanks jeebo72, who 'reviews for IR35' purpose?
    The same people that you use/pay for when you work through an agency. Not going to mention the usual suspects but do a search.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    https://forum.pcg.org.uk/forum.php

Or go to "My PCG" and there is a big button labelled "Visit Forum"

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Who draws up a contract?
    Either you or the client. If the client rarely takes on someone direct, then I'd try and do it yourself. PCG and QDOS have samples to use.

Are there any negatives?
    Most clients pay slower than an agency.
    What about IR35?
    What about it?

Leave a comment:

• No2politics
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
    They will draw up contract. You get it reviewed for IR35 amongst other things. Then off you go. Very easy. In my experience tho' the payment terms (payment schedule wise) are usualy pretty poor if it's a big company and you often have to chase invoices. You're just another supplier, and small fry at that. But factor in the agency cut for your dailly rate.
    I'm in the process of agreeing a contract direct with a client. First time I have done this. After reading similar comments regarding payments I have requested they change their payment terms from 30 days to 7. Will see what happens!

Leave a comment:

• icemancomeths
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    If you're a PCG member, why not (a) ask their forums for an opinion ( ) and (b) offer one of the PCG standard template contracts to the client (there is a direct supplier one for exactly that purpose). Then you have a basis for negotiation if the client wants to use their own; this is a two-way, business to business agreement, after all.

Leave a comment:

• icemancomeths
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
    They will draw up contract. You get it reviewed for IR35 amongst other things. Then off you go. Very easy. In my experience tho' the payment terms (payment schedule wise) are usualy pretty poor if it's a big company and you often have to chase invoices. You're just another supplier, and small fry at that. But factor in the agency cut for your dailly rate.
    Thanks jeebo72, who 'reviews for IR35' purpose?

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    If you're a PCG member, why not (a) ask their forums for an opinion ( ) and (b) offer one of the PCG standard template contracts to the client (there is a direct supplier one for exactly that purpose). Then you have a basis for negotiation if the client wants to use their own; this is a two-way, business to business agreement, after all.

Leave a comment:

• Jeebo72
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X