• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

have you got any holidays planned?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by masonryan View Post
    In the past I have not lied to agents but then found that the truth was being used against me. Every time they ask what rate did you get on your last gig, I will quote to them the maximum contracting rate I have earned in my life, even if it was elsewhere. Never tell them if you have worked for a discounted rate, as they will work your negotiations from there. Get them to start from your max rate and work down.
    Or you could just learn how to negotiate. You're telling the agent what you want to charge, not taking a permie role.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by masonryan View Post
      In the past I have not lied to agents but then found that the truth was being used against me. Every time they ask what rate did you get on your last gig, I will quote to them the maximum contracting rate I have earned in my life, even if it was elsewhere. Never tell them if you have worked for a discounted rate, as they will work your negotiations from there. Get them to start from your max rate and work down.
      I can't recall the last time an agent asked me what I was currently earning, or what I'd earned in the past. I get asked what rate I want, and then negotiate - what I currently earn (or have earned in the past) has no relevance to what I will earn in the future.

I also object to the term "discounted rate" - that implies that you have a standard rate that you then (nearly) always knock some money off. I price each role on an individual basis, since no two are the same.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Well that was a let down

I saw the title of this thread and thought "Woohoo! More people I haven't bored to tears with my holiday plans" and then realised this was in the proper discussion section for discussing proper things.

If I have a holiday planned that impacts the start date of a contract, I let the agency know. Usually, I find it takes everyone so long to sort the paperwork that a couple of weeks off will not cause any issues as long as you're prepared to check your emails and do all the usual pointless stuff of proving you're a Ltd Co and VAT registered (grrrr).

If it's going to be a mid-contract break, I tell the client of the dates I won't be available as soon as I've wowed them with my brilliance and they're convinced they need me in their life. I would never intentionally plan a break when there's a key deliverable due but sometimes that can't be helped.

The first point is generally moot as I have been lucky enough to get all my work for the past 5 years through recommendation rather than pimping myself out to the highest bidder. The clients are usually happy to wait for me to become available, if it's not an unreasonable length of time, and I've often found the lead time is well used by them to ensure a smooth start.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          I can't recall the last time an agent asked me what I was currently earning, or what I'd earned in the past. I get asked what rate I want, and then negotiate - what I currently earn (or have earned in the past) has no relevance to what I will earn in the future.

I also object to the term "discounted rate" - that implies that you have a standard rate that you then (nearly) always knock some money off. I price each role on an individual basis, since no two are the same.
          Ditto that. I am sad enough to have a formula that calculates the minimum I need to cover my cost of living plus contributions to the war chest. I then add onto that, what it will cost me to deliver the contract (travel, hotels, etc). I then look at what the project is, the industry, an idea of how much work it'll actually be and then add all that on to become the "what I want you to pay me" figure. I seem to be working a bit on the cheap side as I've never been negotiated down but I'm happy with what I get and I don't give a monkey's what anyone else charges for their work.
          Last edited by ladymuck; 8 August 2013, 09:44. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by Sid View Post
            Why do agencies ask this question before putting fwd your resume to the client?

Does it make any difference to one landing the contract?
            The agents think that they can trick candidates into feeling that they will be more in-demand for this red-hot contract should the candidate have "no holidays planned".

But, let's face it, there is no job or client in the first place.

If there were, the agents would not engage in this asinine dialogue.
            Last edited by flipFlop; 8 August 2013, 19:15.

Comment

Originally posted by flipFlop View Post
              The agents think that they can trick candidates into feeling that they will be more in-demand for this red-hot contract should the candidate have "no holidays planned".

But, let's face it, there is no job or client in the first place.

If there were, the agents would not engage in this asinine dialogue.
              I don't think it is that at all. I think they use it as a differentiator to improve their chances. If they have two identical candidates and one will go on holiday for 2 weeks in the same month they join there is a chance the client will turn this down as it is a whole month wasted really. Agent will then put the guy forward with no holidays.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sid View Post
                Why do agencies ask this question before putting fwd your resume to the client?

Does it make any difference to one landing the contract?
                It is another hairdressers' question. The agent is just trying to look busy in the office.

There is no contract.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  I don't think it is that at all. I think they use it as a differentiator to improve their chances. If they have two identical candidates and one will go on holiday for 2 weeks in the same month they join there is a chance the client will turn this down as it is a whole month wasted really. Agent will then put the guy forward with no holidays.
                  and of course, if said contractor gets the gig and takes two weeks off thats two weeks the agency aren't getting their margin.
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    and of course, if said contractor gets the gig and takes two weeks off thats two weeks the agency aren't getting their margin.
                    Bless. There is no gig.

If there were a gig then the agent would be placing the candidate for immediate income, not interrogating them about their future holiday plans.

Comment

Working...
                    X