• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Depressing Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saw the following on Jobserve today: £12 an hour for an Arabic speaking financial graduate!

Arabic speaking financial graduate - City of London - July-09-2013 (DAZZm)

Comment

*wibble*

This thread sums me up perfectly. I am even considering permie as current gig is advertised internally and it's NW based and home working more than office and... oh gawd how did it come to this!!!
      Permietractor (probably)

Comment

It is quiet out there. I took a short break of a couple of weeks.

Started looking last week, thinks quite slow. This is the first time I'm benched not through my own choice since 2000 (though I had a short 2 year stint as a permie in the middle)

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
          Been recruiting for a project team for the last few weeks. The jobs have been on all the boards. The vast majority of people we have interviewed have been of overseas origin. I don't see how the market can have been as bad as some say given the quality of response we have had.
          It could be that they're taking a low rate and the agent is bagging the very healthy margin.

Comment

Yep, thems the breaks. Had a chat with a pimp today enquiring about a permy role, but she was struggling to find anyone.

She seemed naive as to why she was struggling. I said most permies are in jobs, they don't want to move or their superiors don't want them to leave, so your stuck with getting contractors.

I also said we do what we do as we like running a business and that it's hard to just ditch the ltd co and go permie, I said most contractors are sitting on the bench (yes, I had to explain this), using the warchest and simply riding out this tulipty market. I finished with 'if you want to make some money your gonna have to start working with us.'

"I'm speaking with the client tomorrow, I'll pass on your comments."

qh
            He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

The contracting market is generally bad even though some companies are having difficulty filling perm positions. One of the problems is that the banks who used to take on armies of contractors, probably the main source of contracts in the good days now just take on one or two, and are very picky who they take on. This means a lot of experienced contractors are sitting around doing nothing but "refusing to be permies".
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Learned today that ClientCo's next "intake day" is not till early August now... FFS

That's it.. they've shot themselves in the foot as far as I'm concerned.. full steam ahead to find somewhere else... W**kers
                Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
                  Learned today that ClientCo's next "intake day" is not till early August now... FFS

That's it.. they've shot themselves in the foot as far as I'm concerned.. full steam ahead to find somewhere else... W**kers
                  Deffo best steering clear of that, unless you want to be IR35~ified (I just made that term up)
                  latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Two years ago I gave up and took a permie role. Now I'm looking again, there seem to be more contacts about, but the only replies I've had from agents is for permie positions so maybe there's much more competition for the contracts. Hard to know.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by kevpuk View Post
                      Unless you want to be IR35~ified (I just made that term up)
                      And quite a tongue-twister it is as well...

Comment

Working...
                      X