• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Accepted contract by email but then turn it down.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accepted contract by email but then turn it down.

All,

I've been offered a contact, I've accepted it by email, but not signed/returned any contract to the pimp.

I've now had an offer for direct work - where do I stand with regard to the contract above?

Personally, I've not signed anything yet so not in breach of any contract. What does everybody else think?

Thanks
    GE
    Last edited by garethevans1986; 12 April 2013, 16:31.

Strictly speaking a contract doesn´t have to be signed it can be agreed on the phone, so technically you are in breach of contract.....but if you agreed earlier today it shouldn´t be a problem. As long as the "B" candidate is around nobody will be bothered.

In future though bear in mind that a verbal or e-mail acceptance is acceptance, so if you are waiting on another better opportunity ask for time to think about it, or even better ignore the e-mail for a while and then get on the blower to the other agent. It´s better to view the point at which you agree on the phone as the point at which the contract is agreed, not as a further intermediate step on the recruitment process.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 12 April 2013, 16:42.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Thank you for your reply BlasterBates.

OK, we're going to see how this pans out I think.

GE

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        Strictly speaking a contract doesn´t have to be signed it can be agreed on the phone, so technically you are in breach of contract.....but if you agreed earlier today it shouldn´t be a problem. As long as the "B" candidate is around nobody will be bothered.
        The legalities are pretty irrelevant as they will never come to bear. Phone, mail, signed in blood, it doesn't matter as it will never go legal. Your problem is that you have given the agent the perception you are taking it and he as acted on that. In theory it shouldn't be a problem but the agent will likely make a song and dance about it and could try threaten you with all sorts. You made him work more so he is gonna be pissed. Take what he says and let him calm down and all will work out ok.

In future though bear in mind that a verbal or e-mail acceptance is acceptance, so if you are waiting on another better opportunity ask for time to think about it, or even better ignore the e-mail for a while and then get on the blower to the other agent. It´s better to view the point at which you agree on the phone as the point at which the contract is agreed, not as a further intermediate step on the recruitment process.
        +1 to this. Tell them you accept subject to contract review and tell them it will take x days to get it reviewed. That will give you some breathing space if you need it and then turn it down after that. If the agent has made firm arrangements with the client then it's his fault... but even if you do this you may still have to put up with a pissed off agent for awhile but that will be the worst of it.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I "accepted" by email on Tuesday/Wednesday, I've got the contract through (not even read it yet) but not heard from the agent since.

I told the agent at the time that I would need to get the contract reviewed before signing it - plus he knows I'm on holiday next week as my current contract finished today. This contract wasn't due to start until the 22nd.

GE

Comment

Re: Accepted contract by email but then turn it down.

If there are any agents out there with a 26 year old contractor called Gareth Evans due to start Monday week, I think your weekend has just been ruined.
            https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

*makes note - change username*

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
                If there are any agents out there with a 26 year old contractor called Gareth Evans due to start Monday week, I think your weekend has just been ruined.
                You missed his age and the possibility that he is Welsh!

Comment

And Mental Age!

Comment

Originally posted by garethevans1986 View Post
                    I "accepted" by email on Tuesday/Wednesday, I've got the contract through (not even read it yet) but not heard from the agent since.

I told the agent at the time that I would need to get the contract reviewed before signing it - plus he knows I'm on holiday next week as my current contract finished today. This contract wasn't due to start until the 22nd.

GE
                    You accepted without seeing the contract but now you want to get out of it??

You don't really care about being professional - why should we?
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X