• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Revenge of HR....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revenge of HR....

Ok, now this is getting ridiculous. Two recent potential contract roles have now been scuppered by HR departments refusing to sign off and who have then decided it should be a 12 month Fixed term role at half the pay. I know of another company where this is being touted seriously to hiring managers.

Anyone else found this?

Originally posted by rob s View Post
    Ok, now this is getting ridiculous. Two recent potential contract roles have now been scuppered by HR departments refusing to sign off and who have then decided it should be a 12 month Fixed term role at half the pay. I know of another company where this is being touted seriously to hiring managers.

Anyone else found this?
    Never happened to me, but I have seen FTC advertised. They are the ones I ignore.
    Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by rob s View Post

Anyone else found this?
      Yep, getting more and more common I am afraid. This FTC is awful and is a cheap get out for the companies. Cheap permie with no benefits but easy to get rid with little rights. HR's dream. I reckon this is one of those things that will slow gain in pace until some in politics mentions it and then there will be a national outcry.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Yep, getting more and more common I am afraid. This FTC is awful and is a cheap get out for the companies. Cheap permie with no benefits but easy to get rid with little rights. HR's dream. I reckon this is one of those things that will slow gain in pace until some in politics mentions it and then there will be a national outcry.
        Why would there be an outcry. If the HR department is any good they can get rid of any permie without too much effort.

And all these contracts do is to ensure people are paid the same as permies which to the permies must seem like a good deal.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I know a few companies that are pushing these, as before I ignore them
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            Why would there be an outcry. If the HR department is any good they can get rid of any permie without too much effort.
            There lies the problem.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              I don't think that is true at all. If the permie has anything about them they will come back with bigger guns than the HR can in most situation where disciplinaries are not involved. You get an employment solicitor involved and HR will tulip themselves, particulary if a union is involved. You can end someones contract that is pretty average, doesn't really fit in, not a team player, isn't good looking enough, wears polo neck jumpers rather than low slung summer tops etc but is very difficult to remove them through HR procedure. There is all the competency things that can take months and the permie goes of stress yadda yadda. Removing permies is not easy at all.

There would be an outcry because people can't get permanent jobs anymore and all the associated problems with people not being able to hold down a job for more than a year and so on. It's not a very nice way to string people on before giving them a job. Remember we accept it and it's fine. To permanent people this is their worst nightmare. If it starts to become the norm the politicians will suddenly appear to be on the public side... Just what I reckon anyway. These are not a good thing and shouldn't start becoming standard practice IMO.

Comment

That HR department is very unprofessional.

Some FTC rates are OK... Still not as good as a day contract.

Comment

Will only keep going as long as there are people out there who are desperate to take them...

Like someone said, permie salary with none of the benefits. Stuff that.

Would be wassed if I went for interview and it got changed to this? Surely its not too much to expect to have the deal sorted out beforehand and not change it afterwards?
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    Will only keep going as long as there are people out there who are desperate to take them...
                    And you really think there isn't???? In this day and age?

Comment

Working...
                    X