• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When To Negotiate Holiday/Training/Conference Time in a Contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello

A contractor has a 6 month contract, say January to June.

Spouse says he/she needs to show the client ulitmate commitment. "Taking a one week break is not a good, shows lack of commitment. Especially since the contractor just started new contract in January."

Disagreement ensues.

In the past, the contractor has asked the other clients if the date/time away affect project plans well in advanced; and this has worked previously well for different employers, clients and managers.

The time the contractor wants away is one week at the beginning of March, or possibly the end of February and then nothing more would be taken or requested. Essentially 1 week in a whole 6 month contract.

The spouse disagrees as the contractor should be thinking about the under-pressure manager. Spouse says the contractor is being very well paid to ultimately "fix the client's pain", what the contractor is doing is showing lack of respect of their circumstance and plus it does not look good, especially in a newly won contract, where the contractor has not quite got his or her feet on the ground yet and is running with the ball.

The experienced Contractor thinks this way out of order. A 3 month contract [Jan - Mar] understandable, but 6 months [Jan - June] is long time. One week away is not going to hurt [ in the contractor's experience]. The project true deadline is in June/July. Contractor does not understand the spouse's point of view.

I am wondering about other contractor's experiences in holiday/conference/training time in a 6-12 month contracts. I know contractors who have never taken time off during a contract and some contractors who say yada. It depends I think. What's your thoughts?
    Last edited by rocktronAMP; 13 January 2013, 14:08. Reason: Grammar Cat

What a lengthy way to ask a really simple question.

I was under the impression that taking holidays as a contractor is a lot easier, as you don't actually ask for permission. I advised of prebooked holidays (as far in advance as August this year) at the beginning of my current (12 month) contract and will bring up additional dates as they pop up. I also asked if there was going to be anyone around between Christmas or New Years and as the whole team was off, I decided not to work that week either.

No client should assume that you're going to work every single day of your contract. And as they aren't paying for you while you're away, they shouldn't have any issues with you taking a bit of time off here and there. If booking something new, it's of course sensible to not cause interference with critical project deadlines, but other than that, I wouldn't worry too much.

Comment

It sounds almost as though you're trying to wangle a week away skiiing with the lads and your mrs doesn't like it

I'd just tell them you'll not be there for X week - some people will work 6 months without a break, others wouldn't dream of it. The more notice you give the better from a project planning perspective, obviously...

Comment

The spouse sounds like a right PITA.

Comment

I contract so I can take whatever time off I want. It is suppose to improve your work life balance not destroy it. Taking a holiday is hardly unprofessional.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Check there is no deadline then tell the client you are going skiing for the first week of March.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I don't negotiate time off, I tell them when I'm not available (obviously being sensitive to project milestones).

My holidays work out at 1 week every 3 months.

So the OP's spouse is talking tosh.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Sounds like contractor is under the thumb of the spouse.

A week off is no problem so long as it's not going to impact anything critical. I normally speak to the client about my plans and ask if it's OK then follow up with an email stating that "I will not be available to work on these days".
                Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

In a corporate environment most project managers, planners, etc. assume all resources are available the same number of days in a year. Your absence is already planned in, in the sense that is expected.

Comment

I dont take time off during contracts. Time off is for permies. I take 'time off' when Im between contracts.
                    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                    X