• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working hours

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working hours

At my contract 8 hours work is expected per day, there is no homeworking or flexitime. For working mums this is tricky with an hour commute and kids homework rtc to do in the evening. I asked if I could work a slightly shorter day on some days e.g 7 hours and it has caused a fuss. I know other contractors on different projects at the same company who work a 7 hour day everyday while getting same daily rate.

All I was asking was to be paid for the hours I do -so if I do 7 hours I get paid for 7 and not 8...am I being unreasonable?

Actually dads have this issue too and yes you are being unreasonable in the way you phrased it.

I've worked with plenty of men and I am closely related to some who due to their wives' jobs are the ones who have to deal with the sick child, make sure they are the one at home in the evening and/or sort out childcare.

The NHS is a big female employer so they make it hard for staff to take time off even when one of their children are in hospital unless the child is in intensive care.

What other people do is:
    1. Ask about general client start and end times at interview. Then get some agreement where you start earlier so you can finish earlier.
    2. Get on the project and have an agreement with the client that you will work shorter hours on some days and make the rest up where necessary.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Actually dads have this issue too and yes you are being unreasonable in the way you phrased it.

I've worked with plenty of men and I am closely related to some who due to their wives' jobs are the ones who have to deal with the sick child, make sure they are the one at home in the evening and/or sort out childcare.

The NHS is a big female employer so they make it hard for staff to take time off even when one of their children are in hospital unless the child is in intensive care.

What other people do is:
      1. Ask about general client start and end times at interview. Then get some agreement where you start earlier so you can finish earlier.
      2. Get on the project and have an agreement with the client that you will work shorter hours on some days and make the rest up where necessary.
      WSS

Comment

What other people do is:
        3. Do what you have to, and take the consequences.

I was on one contract where I came in towards midday on Mondays, and left in mid-afternoon on Fridays, to get the trains that suited me. Nobody ever said anything and I was renewed a couple of times. Another contractor on the same team wanted to do the same, so he asked: and was refused.
        Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post

I was on one contract where I came in towards midday on Mondays, and left in mid-afternoon on Fridays, to get the trains that suited me. Nobody ever said anything and I was renewed a couple of times. Another contractor on the same team wanted to do the same, so he asked: and was refused.
          Exactly!! By asking I get penalised. I will retract the request and say it is no longer necessary and do what I need to do anyway. As contractors do we HAVE to take lunch breaks? Surely there is no legal requirement as I will just work through or take 15mins to make my day shorter.

Comment

Originally posted by simplicity View Post
            Exactly!! By asking I get penalised. I will retract the request and say it is no longer necessary and do what I need to do anyway. As contractors do we HAVE to take lunch breaks? Surely there is no legal requirement as I will just work through or take 15mins to make my day shorter.
            Do it. Worst case scenario is termination and that's hardly a bad thing if you are working in the public sector.....

Comment

The problem you have is because you asked someone at the client will probably keep an eye on your hours for the first few months.

If you didn't ask officially, and people you are working with didn't mind then you would be in the clear.

Now you risk them pulling you up on the hours and then not extending you simply because you asked.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The problem you have is because you asked someone at the client will probably keep an eye on your hours for the first few months.

If you didn't ask officially, and people you are working with didn't mind then you would be in the clear.

Now you risk them pulling you up on the hours and then not extending you simply because you asked.
                oh dear...surely the 50 hour weeks done in the past warrant some sympathy?? never get overtime...

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post

A general principle for life: it is easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission. Just be prepared to take the consequences, though it pay off 9 times out of 10.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

At my contract 8 hours work is expected per day, there is no homeworking or flexitime. For working mums this is tricky with an hour commute and kids homework rtc to do in the evening. I asked if I could work a slightly shorter day on some days e.g 7 hours and it has caused a fuss. I know other contractors on different projects at the same company who work a 7 hour day everyday while getting same daily rate.

All I was asking was to be paid for the hours I do -so if I do 7 hours I get paid for 7 and not 8...am I being unreasonable?
                    It isn't unreasonable to ask. It is unreasonable to get upset if you don't get it. Sometimes clients are flexible, sometimes they aren't. That's life. You can't expect every client to bend to your demands. Also remember you are not an employee of the company, you have a business relationship. Permies can get very upset when contractors get flexibility they don't.

Some clients are great and don't give a monkies as long as you deliver, some won't budge an inch. Always worth asking but you are gonna have to take the answer on the chin sometimes.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X