• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Signing in and parking in the vistor's car park

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Signing in and parking in the vistor's car park

Do any of you do this?

Sign in and out of the log book and park in the vistor's section of the car park like a building contractor?

I read that this would be a good thing from an IR35 point of view to show you are not part and parcel but it seems like a lot of hassle to me and I cannot imagine HMRC being fobbed off with this if you effectively function as an employee!
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Don't be so bloody stupid.

The client will tell you what car park you are allowed to park in and you need to follow their instructions.

The client is responsible for the health and safety of the site and it may not be particularly safe for them to have you parking in the visitors car park all the time.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Don't be so bloody stupid.
      Sheesh - calm down. It was only a question.

The client will tell you what car park you are allowed to park in and you need to follow their instructions.
      No client has ever told me this.

The client is responsible for the health and safety of the site and it may not be particularly safe for them to have you parking in the visitors car park all the time.
      To the best of my knowledge vistor's spaces are generally as 'safe' as other spaces.

Although, reading between the lines here I am guess your answer to my question is that you do not?

Comment

In the grand scheme of things parking is probably lower down the food chain that is IR35. The big problem would be if you had a 'named' parking spot. Best to stick to visitor spaces if possible, but weigh this up against all the good (hopefully no bad) in your contract and working practices.

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
          Although, reading between the lines here I am guess your answer to my question is that you do not?
          Nope.

Clients tell you where you are allowed to park.

When I've been based almost continously on-site I've parked:
          1. The client's staff carpark - where they have told all temps and contractors whether they are builders or not they can park there.
          2. A member of staff's drive/flat car park with their permission due to the client not allowing me to park in the staff car park
          3. On the surrounding streets due to the client not allowing me to park in the staff car park.

Just because the client has visitor spaces doesn't mean you are allowed to park in them especially if you are working there for longer than a week continuously. If you park in a visitors space continuously expect the receptionist or the security team to question you.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Try that at the DVLA, Swansea and you'll find yourself unable to get into your car, let alone shift it due to it's new compact crushed-cuboid shape....

Comment

Clients tell you where you are allowed to park.
              As I hinted at earlier when I said 'No client has ever told me this' no client has ever told me this.

Just because the client has visitor spaces doesn't mean you are allowed to park in them
              I have no recollection of ever saying otherwise.

If you park in a visitors space continuously expect the receptionist or the security team to question you.
              Possibly, although if the questions went:

Security: Why are you parking in the vistor's car park and not in the normal car park.
              Me: Because that is where contractors park and I am a contractor.
              Security: But you have been here for months, you are an employee surely?
              Me: Nope, a contractor like the guy who fixes the boiler only I am here for longer than him.
              Security: I will need to check this as I think you are an employee.
              *Manager checks explains that I am not an employee*
              Security: Fair enough then. Although I think it is a little odd.
              Me: No worries, can I have copies of that conversation where it was shown I was not an employee?

Then I might gain a nice bit of paper for my anti IR35 folder.

I am not sure where you are coming from here but the question and required answer are simple - have you done this, yes or no.
              If you want to throw insults then come and find me in General and flame away.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                Try that at the DVLA, Swansea and you'll find yourself unable to get into your car, let alone shift it due to it's new compact crushed-cuboid shape....
                A bit of a harsh reaction to me signing in and out of the log book!

Comment

Do any of you do this?

Sign in and out of the log book and park in the vistor's section of the car park like a building contractor?

I read that this would be a good thing from an IR35 point of view to show you are not part and parcel but it seems like a lot of hassle to me and I cannot imagine HMRC being fobbed off with this if you effectively function as an employee!
                  Its one why to prove you're not an employee.

It also sounds like a very effective way to annoy someone and ensure you are persona non grata when security are annoyed.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Do any of you do this?

I don't think it's that much of a biggie, to be honest. I've had passes for client car parks before, that lasted for the duration of the gig. Just the same as I've had my own door pass, rather than having had to be signed in and accompanied by a member of staff whilst on-site every day.

I tend to park in visitor car spaces only when I'm first interviewing, but not otherwise. If you're a regular visitor to the premises, it's natural that you'd avoid using spaces set aside for occasional visitors.

Comment

Working...
                    X