• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Signing in and parking in the vistor's car park"

Collapse

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I love the silliness of suggesting you bring to an IR35 investigation a letter from the man that opens the car-park gate.
    Lol - now that would be epic!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I love the silliness of suggesting you bring to an IR35 investigation a letter from the man that opens the car-park gate.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    I agree with most on this thread. Irrelevant where you park. totally.

Makes sense that a client would rather long term contractors park in the main car park surely? Rather than hog the visitors car park for short term visitors.

I suspect kicking off about would just piss client off. At the end of the day, I'll park wherever they let me.

Can't imagine the guy who maybe comes to fix the central heating would kick off if they made him park in the main car park would he?

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    You know people get banned for trolling in serious parts of this forum?
    Do they also get banned for name calling?

Have a look at my other questions, a lot of them are quite basic. Nothing to do with trolling - that should be obvious from looking at any of my posts.

I am quite new to this and have no fear about asking basic question on here as there is no one local I can ask.

However, I think you simply started by being aggresive and rude and I have been able to show that you were 'in the wrong' when doing this so you are resorting to calling me a troll.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Nope because I have other things that distinguish me for IR35 purposes.
    Groovy, so I am in line with what everyone else is doing. That is all I needed to know (as I explained earlier). Honestly, you could have just said this to begin with and saved us both some time.

Lovely selective quoting - you missed the part out that I worked at home on those contracts for 80-90% of the time so didn't have a security badge.
    Irrelevant as the only point we were discussing was car parking. The fact you and others (see other replies) have and do park in the vistor's bay shows it does happen therefore I feel vindicated in making sure that I was not doing anything unusual for a contractor in parking in the normal car park. There are no other driving contractors here that I can check with.

I feel sorry for your clients you take everything so literally.
    I think that they feel they benefit from my desire to clarify things I am not sure of. The only reason that this has been a long thread is because you did not simply answer the question and chose to be rude instead. Although if you are slipping back towards insults I am going to assume you have nothing productive to add?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    Most of my effort in this thread is justifying people's right to ask questions without receiving abuse, what is obvious to one person might not be obvious to another.

It is obvious to me that when using a 'true' guard one needs to twist one's wrist towards the opponent - is that obvious to everyone else?

Perhaps your first reply could have been:

"Do not worry about parking arrangements or the vistitor's book, no one else does. I haven't seen any case where the parking habits of a contractor have been discussed. ."

This would have saved you effort in your aggressive replies and neg repping - true?
    You know people get banned for trolling in serious parts of this forum?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    So when they do - do you? Or, more to the point, is that what everyone else is doing and I have not realised and am therefore making myself an easier IR35 target?
    Nope because I have other things that distinguish me for IR35 purposes.

So you have had clients where you parked in the vistor's park and signed the vistor's book but this is not a general rule.
    Lovely selective quoting - you missed the part out that I worked at home on those contracts for 80-90% of the time so didn't have a security badge.

I have no idea why you simply did not just say that to begin with.
    I feel sorry for your clients you take everything so literally.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Where you park is so bloody trivial it isn't true. I don't know why you are wasting so much effort over all this. I haven't seen any case where the parking habits of a contractor have been discussed.
    Most of my effort in this thread is justifying people's right to ask questions without receiving abuse, what is obvious to one person might not be obvious to another.

It is obvious to me that when using a 'true' guard one needs to twist one's wrist towards the opponent - is that obvious to everyone else?

Perhaps your first reply could have been:

"Do not worry about parking arrangements or the vistitor's book, no one else does. I haven't seen any case where the parking habits of a contractor have been discussed. ."

This would have saved you effort in your aggressive replies and neg repping - true?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Where you park is so bloody trivial it isn't true.
    Sometimes I enjoy feeding the troll.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    So when they do - do you? Or, more to the point, is that what everyone else is doing and I have not realised and am therefore making myself an easier IR35 target?

So you have had clients where you parked in the vistor's park and signed the vistor's book but this is not a general rule.

Where you park is so bloody trivial it isn't true. I don't know why you are wasting so much effort over all this. I haven't seen any case where the parking habits of a contractor have been discussed.

The last article was totally tongue in cheek... I mean, don't organise the works xmas do????

Act like a business and your parking habits won't matter.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    You are assume incorrectly that all contractors like workmen park in the visitors car park when they visit a site - they don't.

Likewise I've worked on more than one project where I worked 80-90% of the time at home. In one case the client stated I had to park in the visitors car park when I spend 5% of my time in their office outside London there as another client stated I had to park in the staff car park.

In both those two cases I had to sign in the visitors book.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    This carries the assumption that being a contractor is not a reason to park in the vistor's car park like any other contractor would have to.
    You are assume incorrectly that all contractors like workmen park in the visitors car park when they visit a site - they don't.

Depending on the client and what work the workmen have come into do you can find them anywhere - from the staff car park, the delivery area to just randomly on-site. For example you and I wouldn't be allowed to use the emergency exits there as a workmen would particularly if that was the only way they could get some ventilation so comparing them to contractors who work regularly on-site isn't valid.

Likewise I've worked on more than one project where I worked 80-90% of the time at home. In one case the client stated I had to park in the visitors car park when I spend 5% of my time in their office outside London there as another client stated I had to park in the staff car park.

In both those two cases I had to sign in the visitors book.

This was so they knew I was on-site because I didn't have a security pass for the sites as I wasn't there regularly enough.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
    I always park in the visitor car parking, but dont sign in as I cant be bothered.
    Thanks for the input. I had a feeling it was not a one size fits all scenario.

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    I always park in the visitor car parking, but dont sign in as I cant be bothered.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    If you start to wind up security and other staff by doing things like using the visitors car park to park when there is no reason you can't park in the company's main car park which their staff use, then the next contractors who end up on site will have to park in the street or pay to park.
    This carries the assumption that being a contractor is not a reason to park in the vistor's car park like any other contractor would have to. Establishing whether this assumption was valid was the entire point of the question, well that and the signing in thing, therefore the answer you provide is utterly useless.

Originally posted by SueEllen
    Probably like me they found CUK and realised it had a great search facility. So whatever question you thought of you could search and there was an answer.
    Perhaps if, like me, they had tried searching for this they would have found it does not seem to have been answered before. At least not in a thread that was easy to find.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X