• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ideal Job

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ideal Job

FYI

I had a call last week from an agent about a gig that's just up the road. It seemed too good to be true. near my house, I can even walk there and I have the right skills. Money is great and my freind also works in the accounts department.

Brillant. The agent said he will put me forward for the position.

This gig is being advertised all over job sites and every other day I am emailing the agent asking for an update and apart from the first reply saying that he has put me forward to his Manager, nothing.

This morning I sent him an email and nothing. I rang him this afternoon and he admited that he has not put me forward because He felt that I didn't have the skil set.

I spoke to my friend who says they have offered the position to someone but he might not take it because it involves some late nights during the upgrades. He will put my CV through tomorrow, without an agent. We'll have to see what happens.

This is how some agents work!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by TOSH1 View Post
    FYI

I had a call last week from an agent about a gig that's just up the road. It seemed too good to be true. near my house, I can even walk there and I have the right skills. Money is great and my freind also works in the accounts department.

This gig is being advertised all over job sites and every other day I am emailing the agent asking for an update and apart from the first reply saying that he has put me forward to his Manager, nothing.

This morning I sent him an email and nothing. I rang him this afternoon and he admited that he has not put me forward because He felt that I didn't have the skil set.

I spoke to my friend who says they have offered the position to someone but he might not take it because it involves some late nights during the upgrades. He will put my CV through tomorrow, without an agent. We'll have to see what happens.

It's not in Pudsey is it!??

Comment

FYI

Here's hoping you manage to fix it and get the gig regardless of the behaviour of the recruiter (which was shameful, btw: if they didn't want to put you forward, fair enough, but in that case they should have got out of your way and let you represent yourself to the client if they were so certain you'd fail).

Top tip: put a link to some online content (e.g. a technical blog / online portfolio) on your CV, and have Web Analytics associated with same (Google Analytics is free, but there are others). The upshot will be that you can tell when someone from a given organisation has viewed your online material. If an organisation an agent alleges to have sent your CV to hasn't viewed your online content within 48 hours, you'll know either that the agent is at it or the client isn't serious. Either way, you may decide at that juncture to send your CV directly to the hiring manager, and explain the situation to them in a respectful but direct way. (It shouldn't be that difficult to identify the hiring manager: their LinkedIn profile will be amongst the "viewers of this profile also viewed" list on the agent's own LI profile, since the agent will have looked at their own profile before viewing the hiring manager's). If the agent has already sent your CV, there'll be no harm in sending them an extra copy. If the agent's mucking you about, however, it'll be their loss at that juncture.

Comment

We're moving into Technical territory but I wasn't aware Google Analytics would tell you who had visited your site, although there are tools which DO.

Best of luck to the OP.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Might be time to re-look at your CV if he put other people through and not you.......

p.s it's not a job.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            We're moving into Technical territory but I wasn't aware Google Analytics would tell you who had visited your site, although there are tools which DO.

Best of luck to the OP.
            It doesn't, and I didn't say that it did. I said that Web Analytics (of which Google Analytics is just one option) would tell you when someone from a given organisation had visited your site. In GA's case, the visitor's domain, ISP and city are three of the metrics it provides. That's invariably enough to tell you which organisation it was. You can also use one of the other more specific Web Analytics solutions, write your own, or even make sure the URL that you place a hyperlink to on your CV is organisation/agency/application-specific.

Comment

Does GA let you drill down to individual visitors then? I always get lost trying to look at the various charts, so I started tweaking URLs for each person instead.

I'm peering into my GA now and all I can see is location, not IP or ISP. I figured GA dealt purely in statistics, not individual visitors. I can see one person from Massachusetts visited my site but that wouldn't narrow it down if I was applying in a largish city.

Am I missing some really handy log of every visitor?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
                Here's hoping you manage to fix it and get the gig regardless of the behaviour of the recruiter (which was shameful, btw: if they didn't want to put you forward, fair enough, but in that case they should have got out of your way and let you represent yourself to the client if they were so certain you'd fail).
                To be honest, this kind of complaint about agents is pointless.

This IS how {whatever large}% of agencies operate and we all have stories we could bitch about.

I actually don't have an issue with this. They are a business, I am a competing business even if they deem me unworthy to put forward themselves.

That is simply the way it is.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Does GA let you drill down to individual visitors then? I always get lost trying to look at the various charts, so I started tweaking URLs for each person instead.

I'm peering into my GA now and all I can see is location, not IP or ISP. I figured GA dealt purely in statistics, not individual visitors. I can see one person from Massachusetts visited my site but that wouldn't narrow it down if I was applying in a largish city.

Am I missing some really handy log of every visitor?
                  No offence, but you do have an unhappy knack of missing the point and asking daft questions sometimes, doogie. I can see why it frustrates people.

Nobody said anything about IP. As for ISP, yes, it does tell you that, under Technology > Network. And within Technology -> Network you can pick a Secondary Dimension of Town/City; if you're seeing "Massachusetts" then it's because you've chosen to view Region instead.

Anyway, I think we've dragged this particular conversaion off-topic enough, don't you?

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                    To be honest, this kind of complaint about agents is pointless.

This IS how {whatever large}% of agencies operate and we all have stories we could bitch about.

I actually don't have an issue with this. They are a business, I am a competing business even if they deem me unworthy to put forward themselves.

That is simply the way it is.
                    I have a problem with being lied to. I don't think it's on to pretend you've sent a CV when you haven't, whatever percentage of agencies may do it. It's obtaining a pecuniary advantage by deception (or whatever the appropriate offence is now under the Fraud Act 2006), if they manage to cause you not to apply for a role by the fraud of stating they have represented you for it and they subsequently win the bid with a 'better' candidate (read: one that they can fleece more of their rate from). I've no doubt there are agencies out there that operate this way, but I wouldn't deal with anyone I discovered working that way again.

Comment

Working...
                    X